Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I survived the 20 miler. Some aches & pains, but I guess that can be expected. 2 more weeks of training before capping off with 22 miles and beginning my taper.

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Goodness Rybo, 20 miles! I bet you literally burn off 1-2 lbs of fat on those types of runs. Very impressive.

3. LilSiman/OH

LilSiman/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Geez you guys sure do like to run! I ran track and broke the 400m record on the first practice but got DQed the rest of the season becasue I could only throw. As I got into Highschool football lifting I was putting up more then some seniors. I played up most weeks. I got a major concussion halfway through the season and couldnt play for 3 weeks. I got back in the game and all winter I lifted hard and was scheduled for our school Lift-a-thon. Then it all went to nothing when I got a major concussion, brain bleed and post traumatic seizure with a 3 day hospital stay. I havent been lifting since just 15 mile bike rides every once in a while with little brother to stay not fat. Started baseball 4 weeks ago and after it ends gonna start lifting again. No football though.. ever :( But when deer season comes around I'll be wackin' and stackin' em every weekend instead of playing football! Some good out of this..

4. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
  5. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Set out on an ambitious run this morning. I feel like my middle level anaerobic conditioning needs work so I came up with an idea for a run today. I jogged a mile then sprinted at 85%-90% for 60 seconds, jogged for 2 minutes, then repeated. I wanted to make it a good 4 miles doing that but I only lasted 2.5 miles. I stumbled the remaining 1.5 miles home at a slow walk, body hurting in the unseasonably high 75 degree temps. I timed my sprints and right around the 45-50 second mark I started to really hurt but I forced myself to finish out until my 60 second goal. I am going to continue these type of runs 1-2 times a week throughout the month of April.

6. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  8. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    FINALLY got off my rear and went for a run tonight. I could feel every pound I put on with each step. I ran the neighborhood, that has several pretty good hills and that was it. I was running the neighboorhood, the next couple streets over and finishing up with the neighborhood again. I guess you gotta start somewhere.

9. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    15K in the AM, wish me luck!

10. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck chief, you running in Ga, or "up north" lol... On a serious note, I cannot believe you would run on the same day as the A day game.

11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Phillip. I did a couple hundred push-ups tonight throughout a workout. Those 200 push-ups took me about 18 minutes to complete. I wonder if I could do 500 push-ups within one hour here in the next couple of months? I think I might give it a go.

12. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys! I survived the 15K and finished! Time was 1:31:48 for a 9:35 min/mile. Feeling good about it. My goal was 10:00 min/mile. Next race is a Trail Half Marathon on May 21.

13. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    start calling you Herschel Walker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Phillip, heck of a job!

Isaiah. hahaha. For 36 years old I think I am doing pretty good considering where I was health wise just 10 months ago. I have dropped nearly 18 lbs, can run under a 7 minute mile, do 50+ push-ups in a row....and on and on. And I am finally starting to feel like my old self. I bet by late summer that I crank out a 6:30 mile and continue to put out the bodyweight exercises at a high rate.

15. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the time Phillip!! Good job.

16. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    thats what im talking about!

17. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good work guys! I'm coming up quickly on my first half marathon, I started with some lofty goals but reality has set in and I'm just looking forward to finishing. I've struggled with some leg/knee issues but since I've been tapering they seem to be a little better. For a guy that had never ran any kind of distance until the last few months 13.1 is looming large.

18. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Drenman, good work man! In the middle of one of my runs the other night I ran a 6:55 mile and hardly felt tired. My lungs and heart are finally starting to build up and feel great. I think I could have dropped an extra 20-25 seconds off that time if I really pushed it but I wanted to run really smooth at 90-95% to see how I would hold up. My mileage is also increasing which is a good thing.

If any of you have any interval type training in the 2-4 mile range that you think is really good, give me some examples please. Thanks guys.

19. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Drenman, you'll do fine, good luck.

VS,
    If you have access to a track, you can do repeat 800's until you reach your desired overall distance. You could also go 800, 1200 1600, 1200 & 800.
    Pace and number of repetiions you will have to determine yourself. Go hard, but not a flat out pace. Usually a 200-400 meter recovery walk is good in between.

As for me I am 3 weeks out from the marathon, and finished my last big run of 22 miles today. Wasn't having a good day & the weather wasn't fun but I finished and will put it behind me. It's all down hill from here. :woot:

20. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been trying to pace myself in getting healthy by:
    1. Quit drinking in 1993 (FEB 22nd to be exact);
    2. Walking regularly due to arthritis cannot run;
    3. Quit smoking on 3/4/2011; and now with a grandbaby on the way, I am going to increase #2 above to increase stamina and help improve my chances of being around for this child a LONG time!