Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have fun, Rybo. I have a 5k next saturday. I don't train for them, as I'm not much of a runner. I just like to participate in a few a year. Its sort of a family thing for us. I'll stroll in somewhere around 27 minutes.

2. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys!

I am happy to report a time of 1:14:52, for 10 miles. My goal was 1:15, so i hit it pretty much exactly. I am very happy.
    And I do it the old fashioned way, none of these fancy GPS watches that tell you how fast you are going.

Keep up the good work everyone, no matter what stage of training or fitness you are in.

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rybo, impressive! Really impressive.

4. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Rybo, way to go! I wish I had that pace. I'm usually between 10:30-11:30 min miles.

With the perfect weather we have here today, I was able to get out for a nice 4.5 mile (49:51) trail run in to complete my 2nd week of training for my half marathon which is 10 weeks away. I had an 11.5 mile week this week and will up to 13 this coming week with a warm up 5K race on Saturday. I use the fancy gadgets, I have a great app on my iPhone called iMapMyRun. It piggy backs off of the mapmyrun.com website. I think they both are great!

5. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice run. I've been sick most of the past week, so I plodded through a slow 6 miles this morning.

And I'm with you on the old fashioned way, I can pretty much tell what my pace is without a GPS. Although I would like one just so I could keep track of how far I actually run sometimes. A lot of times I'll just take off and run for 2 hours without actually knowing how far I actually ran.

6. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Geez Hooker! "Take off and run for two hours...". I take off and run for like 30 minutes and feel good. hahaha.

I have a question for some of you guys. I had a comprehensive physical done a few days ago and received the results. Everything looked great except my lipids. My cholesterol was 235, triglycerides 184, and good cholesterol only 35. My dads side of the family all have that profile and I have been battling it for the last 3-4 years. I am not that far off from having average cholesterol levels. In terms of diet, I am going to cut out alot of the breads I eat, and I am considering taking a Niacin supplement. I have heard supplementing with Niacin helps raise your good cholesterol (in which I am in severe need). Any of you guys supplement with Niacin or heard of anyone else using it? I am 36 and I am currently not on any medication. I do not want to get on any medication yet understand I cannot continue living with borderline high cholesterol levels. Any tips on how to naturally lower my cholesterol would really help. Thanks.

7. littleshooter

littleshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Regarding your cholesterol....one thing I would highly recommend is adding oatmeal to your diet, if you don't already. Also, if you're going to cut something out, take a look at the amount of red meat (and what kind) that you're eating. You can also eliminate the yolks of eggs... I add a bunch of veggies and salsa and I never know the difference. My family is very similar in that they ALL have high cholesterol and are on some sort of medication, regardless that they eat well and are in fairly decent shape. I'm the only one that doesn't and my good cholesterol is up around 85+. Best thing you can do is monitor your diet and exercise.....control what you can because hereditary stuff with the heart is nothing to mess with. Good Luck!

8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks little. I always take a gradual approach to everything as I am not a good all or nothing guy. I usually eat red meat twice a week. I am going to cut it down to once and eat chicken or seafood in its place. Actually I have started to eat oatmeal a month or so ago for breakfast and it is giving me good energy levels until lunch. I am starting to take Niacin today in the recommended gradual increasing dosages to help my good cholesterol. Also I am going to add one more 20-30 minute a week aerobic activity..probably the heavy bag or some sort of calisthenics. I hope that my gradual change in diet, the Niacin, and one more aerobic workout a week will give me a boost. I am going to schedule another cholesterol fasting blood check in three months to see if it is working. Bottom line is I need to drop 5 lbs of fat to be at a really good weight. Thanks again Little.

9. littleshooter

littleshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sounds like you have a great plan in place! It takes time, especially if you're doing it the right way....which it looks like you are! Good luck - keep us posted on how it's working!

10. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Completed a 5K race today in 26:48 for a 8:46 min/mil. My goal was 9 min/mil so I'm really happy with how it went today.

11. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good job GA B! Way to beat your goal!

12. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great job, GA.

13. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Phillip, fantastic work man.

14. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

15. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    30K race yesterday, with a balmy 18-20 degrees at race start. Coming off a week of travel and with the temps that cold, I didn't set a firm goal. The race felt like a struggle much of the time, my legs just never really got under me. But I still finished with a time I am happy with, 2:32:37 which is a 8:12 pace. 7 weeks to the marathon, I feel like I am ready now.

16. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well done, Ryan. Your pace was better over 30k than mine was over 5k a week ago. I ran 27:11, which was the first time I ran over 1/2 a mile since lats June, so I was okay with it.

I have a lot of respect for you long distance runners. I have never run over 2 miles in my life, except when participating in 5k's. I wouldn't exactly call that running either. I have too many injuries/conditions that prevent me from running long distances. 2 miles is actually very painful, but I wish I could run longer.

17. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Rybo awesome time on that 30k! Way to go!!

I also completed another race this weekend. It was a 6.5 mile trail race. The conditions were horrible, pouring down rain the whole race. I had a pretty good front half of the race but slowed way down on the backside. Finished in 85 min about 15 min longer than I should have. I blame the muddy conditions though. :)

My next race is a 15K road race on April 16 and then a Half Marathon trail race on May 21.

18. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Vito, Rybo, GA...good work to all of you guys. Rybo, awesome work man. GA....6.5 miles is no joke of a distance. Vito, keep at the running and do what your body can tolerate.

I hit a little bit of a longer run this morning in sub freezing conditions. Ran 5.2 miles in 45 minutes. Not bad for me as I usually do not run much over 3.5-4 miles. I am trying to build a good base right now while mixing in some speed work once every 7-10 days to get my heartrate up to the higher levels.

19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Had a solid 7-10 days of strong running. I had a good run tonight even after working 12 hours. Came home, hung out with the kids a bit and went on a run. I warmed up with a mile then ran 2 miles in 14:40 which is really good for me. I had no expectations on my run tonight because I was tired before I even started. I feel like I am finally getting a really good running base, for me.

20. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good time VS. Once you have that base, the confidence comes so much easier, because you feel so much better on your runs.

I've been dealing with some minor knee pain the past couple weeks. This week I've been "easing" back into my full schedule. Tomorrow will be a very telling day, 20 miles. The marathon is 5 weeks out, I'm starting to get really excited, but a little nervous too.