Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cool Jeff. I have only run twice in the past two weeks due to some pain in the lateral part of my left knee. The pain has subsided but scared me a bit. Ran two miles two days ago and will go from there. Good luck.

2. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wife finally spit junior out last weekend, I gained 35 lbs over our 9 month pregnancy. I hit the street yesterday for the first time in awhile, going to knock this 35 lbs. off over the next 3-4 months...great job to all you guys/gals.

3. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome job everyone. Well I think i cracked a rib the other day while doing legs of all things :mad: I had done 4 sets of squats and moved along to the leg press. I was on my 4th set and was doing my heaviest ever on it, with it loaded with 450lbs. I did 6 reps with it and was pumped about that, but when I got up my Lower ribs were hurting on my left side. I think what happened is I get a full rep with the machine and actually go all the way to the bottom stop that basically puts my Knees behind my ears :moose: Im very flexable so I use the full range of the machine. With that much weight that far back I think made me crack a rib :( I can hardly sleep on that side and if I make it to that position and get settled in then I cant hardly get back up. It hurts when I sniff real hard to. Other that that I can still do everything else except touch that spot. Its very tender. Has anyone here ever cracked a rib ? what did it feel like ? I finished out that day with hamstring curls and leg extensions the calf raises.

4. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Blood, when I was wrestling I got slammed into that same position with a rear suplex. I felt something strain mid way up my ribcage. I had separated my ribs. I got back up and tried to continue once I freed myself but I could not continue. I was out of training for a month. ICE. I could barely get into my truck for days as it hurt so bad. I bet you have slightly separated ribs.

5. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I haven't ran in anything but my Vibrams or barefoot in several months. Although I did try on the Merrell Barefoots the other day and liked them quite a bit, but I'm waiting for the NB Minimus to come out next month. I'll probably buy the Minimus, they are a bit more shoe which I believe will help me with the longer distances.

6. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Vito, I just checked out that website for that workout, thanks. I am thinking of incorporating workouts like that two times a week in addition to my running. That would give me a good 5 days a week of solid cardiovascular work in addition to strength training.

8. Florida Marine

Florida Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did this for about 4-5 months end of last year...

Was hard at first (actually made me sick a few times), but it seemed I got into a groove pretty fast with it.

If you stay to strict form and do it for the full 60 sec with the correct rest intervals its a pretty decent work out. I like it because it doesn't need a bunch of weights, I was using like 25 - 45 lb weights and getting what I needed out of it.

I have the exercises on a word document that prints to one page so I could lay it on a bench and make sure I was staying on track.

Sean

9. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Brett, Im trying the ICE now. It feels like its going to be a slow healer :o and is sore as hell. Im taking off from the weights until it heals up :sad:

10. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I did the same thing. Printed it out and use a watch to time each station and rest. Was more difficult than I expected. I liked it for a lot of the same reasons you listed.

Anytime a workout starts to feel easy or routine, I switch. If I really liked it, I will go back to it at some point. I just started this one, but there is a good chance it will be a keeper.

11. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like the looks of this - especially as mentioned for "switching it up" for a bit...is there a handy link to print out altogether?

12. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes there is. It prints two stations per page with photos and explanations.

I just cut out the photos and shrunk them with Photoshop, and put them all to one page.

13. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I ran my "little over" 6K trail race Sunday at 48:15. I had set a goal of 40:00 for this race but was caught off guard by the number of hills and their steepness.

I did begin training for my half marathon this morning though.

14. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good Run GAbow. Trails are way too hard to try and predict or set goals for. Hills can really mes swith your times.

I just registered for a couple of "tune up" races in preparation for the marathon.
    10 mi on March 12th
    30K (18.6 mi) on March 26th.

I figure these 2 races should tell me a lot as far as what kind of realistic marathon pace I should try to run. And whether the pace I have in mind now, is that realistic pace.

15. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I just started a new class at a local YMCA. Since the kids were born, there isn't a lot of time for us to spend together. Fitness is the main activity we have in common.

The class is designed for couples and is taught by a husband and wife. Most of the exercises involve your partner, and they require you to act in unison to complete the movement. We use resistant bands a lot. Its honestly more difficult than I expected. The fitness level of the people in the class is all over the place. There is another fit couple, and the instructors do a good job of making the exercises more challenging for us. So far, I like it.

Plus its cool to hang out with my wife. Just in case she reads this.

16. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a pretty interesting class Vito.

As for me I could not be happier with how marathon training is going. Runs are getting easier, times are coming down, it makes training not seem so daunting of a task.

17. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Must be a down time of year, but I wish this topic was still active.
    I have a 10 mi rce coming Saturday. I'm fairly excited for it, just to see how I feel and what kind of pace i can keep up. It will help me to start figuring out a better marathon goal.

18. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to you rybo. I've had to curtail my training due to other issues as well as some nagging injuries.

19. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 5K next Sat and then a 6.5 mile trail race the following Sat. Finishing up my second week of training for my half marathon in May.

20. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Rybo, best of luck, you have my respect for training so hard. For me I took the month of February and used it to heal up a bit. I still trained 3-4 days a week, just for shorter bursts. I was drawn out on my training and my joints were hurting. I only ran a couple of days a week and focused on gaining strength. The last week I ran three times with some longer runs mixed in to start developing a volume base. I would really like to get in a good base of 15-20 miles a week of running by the end of April. I have been switching up strength training by having my kids sit on my back while I do push-ups and squats to make it fun for them and me. They are watching everything I do and are joining in on my workouts which make them a lot of fun.

I am starting to make my push for 200 lbs. I need to drop about 12 lbs and want to do it by July 1st. I am going to do it.

Good luck Phillip!~