Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Very true! When I started out early last year I couldn't run 5K. I now run that as my normal runs on Mon and Wed and 10K on Sat.

2. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the links guys! Honestly, the C25K method looks a bit easy for me to follow but I might just give it a try.

Hooker, thanks for the link. Theres a lot of cool stuff on there.

AND, I just got done running another mile. I'm already seeing improvement. I shaved 4 secs off my time from yesterday. :D BUT I'm not trying to get a best mile time. I focused more on my pace this morning and BREATHING (something I somehow forget to do). When my buddy runner told me a mile was ran, I felt I could go farther. Maybe I should have. I've only been running for three days straight now but I don't feel nearly as worn out as I did from running Sunday. Would I actually notice an improvement this early on? Is it in my head?

3. ICALL2MUCH

ICALL2MUCH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Maybe not. One thing I used to do, and don't do now - is make it UNenjoyable.

I used to always push myself so hard, that I hated it. So it would make it harder for me to to want to workout. Once I "ran my goal" and felt like I could go farther, and didn't. I enjoyed it more, and ran more.

Just worked for me. The "couch to 5k" is a good thing because it sets it out for you.

Good luck!

4. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you sir!

5. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One thing to keep in mind is you cardio will come up the curve a lot faster than the rest of your body. The couch to running program is a great way to get started, it may seem like you are moving too slow to start but it is building a base and getting your joints and muscle groups built back up. This will reduce your chances of injury which will in turn mean you might stick with it better.

6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well I survived my PT with the county police. Within five minutes of me arriving one of the applicants looked at me and said, "well at least I am not the oldest in here anymore". Everyone laughed...hahahaha. We rapid fired from one test to the next so even though I didn't perform really well on any one event, I did perform well overall as compared to everyone else. We had good runners who were not strong, and we had strong guys who could not run. I competed with them all on an even level, on every event.

Like I said before, I wanted to put on a good showing and not risk any injuries along the way. I weighed in at 212 due to the fact that I drank a lot of water this morning and had on sweats...oh well.

We started with a three minute step test to determine our baseline pulse rate.
    Then we hit the bench press ( I hadn't benched for over 10 years). I put up 275, the best of the group.
    Then we did vertical leap (I hadn't tested that in over 15 years). I jumped 25 inches. (not bad for age 36)...one of the better jumps.
    Situps in one minute...I did 47 which for me is good.
    300 meter run...I ran 40 seconds which was the best of the group. Beat two 150 lb active duty Marines. I hadn't run it in so long I can of paced it to much the first part of the run.
    Push-ups right after the 300 minute run was tough. We were all hurting. I only got 45 because my whole body was tight.
    Then we hit the 1.5 mile run in darn 35 degree temps. I ran 11:15 in the 1.5 mile to finish out my day. That put me at second behind a guy that ran about 10:15.

Now it is on to really fine tune my physical training and to harden up over the next five months if they accept me into the police academy this summer. I will be ready physically and mentally come day 1.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  7. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Impressive Brett!! I love stuff like this, pushing ones limits. While In Colorado this fall I opted to go out on my own the last few hunts being I really wanted to push myself and not have to worry about anyone else. I surprised myself and then some.

You looking to become a cop?

8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Josh, it ain't getting any easier as I get older. BUT I am very happy the way my body has responded over the past six months. I went from basically bed ridden with mono, to being able to put on a decent show physically. Now I can relax a bit and really pick up the volume in my training so that I am in great shape come summer.

I am looking to be a police officer Steve. I am working out hard and getting mentally and physically prepared. We have one of the best local PD's in the state and a nationally recognized/accredited police academy. It is something I should have done years ago, but I just was not mentally prepared to commit. I am now.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  9. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck Brett. You'll be a good one just because of the way you are as a person.

10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Steve. It has taken me a long time to think that way. I have high expectations for myself, and sometimes I fall short and get discouraged. I am. going to give it my best shot

11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I had a great last five days of NOT working out. I took five days off of any training because my body just hurt. I hadn't taken more than two days off of training in over six months. I had a quick 15 minute workout tonight and I will just ease back into training over the next week. My body needed it bad.

12. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I am currently signed up for 4 races, and there are 5 more that I want to run before the end of the year.

Feb 20 - 6K trail
    Mar 19 - 5K street
    Mar 26 - 6.5 miles trail
    May 21 - Half Marathon trail

Edit: This will be my first Half Marathon.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  13. littleshooter

littleshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After running my half marathon in October, I went back to lifting more and pulled away from some of the running. I was basically working out without any true drive or direction. I was bored with my programming. Jan 3 I started a new routine, lifting 2 days a week (imagine an abbreviated workout program in preparation for a fitness show), cardio/sprints 3 days a week and my new favorite cardio intensive, with weights, class at the gym on Saturdays. I'm eating very clean - veggies and protein Mon-Saturday and have a "cheat meal" on Saturday night, and "cheat day" Sunday. I'm down 6 lbs and have dropped almost 4% in body fat. My goal was to be at about 12%, but I think I'm going to reassess and maybe drop it a bit more since i'm almost there already. I'm petite to begin with, but am really excited about the progress I have made thus far and the changes I'm seeing. It gets me excited to wake up at the crack of dawn and hit the gym the next day for more, which is a great feeling.
    It's exciting to hear of so many people's success stories and triumphs!! You all are motivating and I thank you for the stories and experiences shared! Good luck to all!

14. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    VS, enjoy your rest, the body (if not the mind) needs that now and again.

Good luck on your races Gabowhunter, they are addiciting.

Great workouts there littleshooter!

As for me, marathon training still going smooth. I am really thinking about lowering my goal from under 4 hrs to 3:50, if not 3:45. I think i'm going to run a 10 mi race in march and see how that goes and adjust from there.

15. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    A couple of races added to my race schedule.

April 16 - 15K street
    Aug 6 - 5 Mile trail

A couple of races I have my eye on

Jun 18 - 10K street
    Aug 20 - 5K MudRun
    Oct 1 - 11 Mile trail
    Nov 12 - Half Marathon street
    Dec 17 - 10K trail

16. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1:42:46 20k this morning with no real planning. I friend texted me last night if I was up to run in a local "fun" run, it was 5k, 10k, 15k, and 20k. I wasn't sure what I was going to run when we started, and then I ended running the entire course. Pretty proud of that effort considering there was no preparation.

I think I'll treat myself to some Modelo and pork tacos from the taco truck for that effort.

17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Dang Hooker that is fantastic! Man you are in some great running shape.

18. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice run Hooker.

Vibrams?

I am quickly falling in love with the Saucony Kinvara's. I just picked up a pair and they are so light and feel like slippers. For me it looks like a great bridge between regular trainers and the vibrams. And I may just completely bail on the traditional running shoe if these hold up.

19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I wear the Saucony Progrid Guide 3 running shoes. They are not some bigtime running shoe but they seem to work well for me. I am interested in those Kinvaras Rybo. I might take a look at them tonight.

20. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great job (everyone).

I hit the road for the 1st time in a few months, this morning. The bone spur in my knee didn't bother me. But, I could feel it.

Little over 3.5 miles. I coulda timed myself with a calendar, it felt. No cares (about time).

On the bike again, tomorrow. Looking forward to it.