Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good grief. Two brutal workouts today. The cycling was a 90 minute strength/endurance program followed immediately by 30 minutes running with over half of it up/down several flights of stair.

I'm exhausted. Time for bed as I have tomorrow's workout waiting for me at 0430...

2. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just finished working out for the first time since high school :tu: Just kept it simple, tricep pull-downs, bench press, and curls for the girls. I actually benched more than I thought I was going to be able to do. I did 5 sets of 5 with 210 pounds, and my junior year of high school I only did 240 for a one rep set.

I am going to try and keep up this whole working out thing, but add more lifts/exercises in the future. Also, walking 10 or more miles per day shed hunting will help me lose some weight (would like to get down to 210 soon, currently 230ish pounds)

3. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I feel like someone nailed my shoulders on this morning :ninja: what a workout :)

4. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I had a successful 7 mile run yesterday evening. Back felt fine during the run, but got kinda stiff on the way home.

But after 30 minutes of ice and a massage from the wife, all was well :)

I'll probably stay out of the gym for a few more days, but I'll still continue my runs.

5. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Almost thru my 2nd week of marathon training.
    Snow & bitter cold temps havent really slowed me down any. In fact wednesday I was tired, cranky & cold so i ran a bit faster than normal and was happy to see that I held an 8 min/mile pace over 5 miles. For me that was good. Normally I dont push myself too much, I just plod along. I have 9 miles coming up sunday in low teen temps.

6. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in maintenance mode now, I'm 5 lbs below my target weight so I only run 3 miles every other day now. The, reason behind the 5lbs is a kind of pay it forward deal. If I want to pig out for a week straight then I can knowing worse case i'll gain back to my target weight, hasn't happened yet though.

7. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Man im down 12 lbs just from being in the Gym a couple extra days a week, I still havent started any cardio but plan on it this weekend. Im batching it now as everyone but one kid is out of town, so it will be a good time for some cardio (probably do some plyo) Its been so much easier to keep better eating habits on the straight day 8 hr schedule, and im switching the workouts around enough, and giving it my all that im sore most of the time until after recovery. I read all your post, you guys still inspire me ;) congrats on what your getting done!

8. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good work Blood. I bet it sure feels nice to be a on a 7-3 schedule. I work those long 12 hour shifts which makes work working out hard. I spend a lot of time working out at 8-9pm which just is not fun.

Well I go in to take my physical fitness test for the county police on Friday. I am not trying to set any records, I am just trying to show a good effort for a 36 year old. I have some basic goals that I think I can meet without risking any injury.

sit-ups in 1 minute=40-50
    push-ups in 1 minute=50-60
    1.5 mile run=10-30-11 minutes

There are other parts of the test but those three are the core. I will be sore on Saturday at work. :)

9. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck, Brett. You'll kill it.

10. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ran a 10 mile trail run Saturday morning. Absolutely gorgeous weather. Perfect morning for a good run. Finished in 1:21:43. I was happy with that time, but I could have went faster (and further), my legs were feeling great at the finish. I ran with a friend for 90% of the race, and we talked the entire run, so I know I could have went faster, and I wanted to pick up the pace the last couple of miles, but he wasn't up to it, so I just stayed with him. It was really one of the more enjoyable races that I've had.

Also we saw a doe break her neck during the race. We came around a corner, and she was in the middle of the trail, she then tried to jump a fence on the other side, but clipped her feet and fell on her neck. We weren't sure what to do, so we just left her alone, but man that left me with a sick feeling. We told the park ranger about it when we finished, but I just wish I could have done something to help her.

11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Good work Hooker! I cannot imagine running ten miles. After this Friday I am going to start adding some longer distances to my workouts. Right now my longest runs over a week or so are about 4-4.5 miles. Once I get to those distances I slow down to 9.5 minute miles or so. I would like to run 5-6 miles at a 8.5-9 minute mile pace in the next couple of months. Dang that sounds horrible about that doe.

12. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was humbled yesterday. I haven't ran a mile probably since high-school but I told the wife I was going to attempt to run a three miler in preparation for a 5K I plan on running in May. LOL, yeah right. :) One mile about killed me. My buddy runner app quit halfway through so I don't know my time but I gave up after a mile. I was way over-ambitious.

I just now finished running a mile and my time was 8:57. I can't believe I used to run a mile in 6 minutes and something. I didn't realize I was that out of shape. Right now I can't imagine running 3 miles in one run. Major props to those who do that and much more.

13. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Finch, you will be surprised at how quickly your body will respond if you just run. After I got sick in the spring, I could not even run 200-300 yards without being in total shut down mode. I had to resort to walking for a mile or two for several weeks. I then put in a 25 pound weight in a backpack and walked for another couple of weeks until I was able to run. At that point my runs were a mile or less as that is all my body could handle. Six months later after having not run for over five years, at 36 years old and 210 pounds, and after having a bad case of Mono.....I am running below a seven minute mile and routinely run 3-4 miles a couple times a week along with some other shorter runs.

YOU will get better and you will be able to run a three miler in the next 2.5-3 months. Keep at it man.

14. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At the finish of the Lake Bistineau 10 mile trail run

[​IMG]

15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Cool "shoes" Hooker. You must have some dang strong toes/calves to be able to run like that for ten miles.

16. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good job Hooker!
    I'd give anything to be runing in shorts & a t-shirt outside right now.

I had a 10 mile trainnig run this weekend. All roads though, there will be no trail running for me until probably march. We have about 6-12" of snow on the ground.

17. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Brett.

I realize a 5K is no big thing to a lot of you guys but I've got to start somewhere. My plan of attack is to begin by running a mile every day or so for a week or two. Then I plan on gradually progressing to 2 miles and so forth. Is this a good training plan?

18. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    For the first 2-3 weeks I would run about 3-4 times a week unless your body doesn't feel a lot of tiny aches and pains. Mine felt the pain when I started out running too much. After a few weeks you will have a much better understanding of what your body can handle. Running too much too quickly could knock you out of commision for awhile if an injury pops up.

19. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is a plan out there called C2 5K "Couch to 5K" It's supposed to be very good for beginner runners to help them build up, when starting out. I've never really looked at the actual plan, but have heard about a lot of people following it. I'm sure a quick google will turn up some info.

20. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here you go, Finch: LINK

And we all started somewhere. When I first got back into running 4 years ago, I could barely run a 5k, and now I'm planning on running my first ultramarathon next fall. You'll be surprised how quickly a 5k can become routine if you stick with it.