Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Made a little breakthrough in my running tonight.(finally) Ran 1.3 miles in right at 9 minutes after jogging a mile. It only took me about 2 minutes to recover and I felt great. Those splits would put me well under (conservatively) 11 minutes for a mile and a half. I actually got faster throughout the run. Just a few week ago I ran the mile and a half in 11:45,. The hard work and interval training is paying off!

2. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Outstanding VS! Interval training really is a great way to make some head way.

Missed my workout yesterday due to a few things. So, today's a double duty for me. 5x5 Olympic this morning (just finished) followed by a two hour indoor cycling followed with a 30 minute run. I'm going to sleep well tonight!

3. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Good work Force...better sleep is one of the great side benefits of working out. I am not a good sleeper so getting exhausted really helps.

4. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So the other day while running suicides at the gym, I either strained or pulled a lower back muscle, so all my workouts have been put off till this crap heals. It sucks. I feel like an old man.

I have a trail half marathon in 2 weeks, so I'm hoping it will better by then. I'll see how well it holds up this weekend, I'm supposed to run 11 miles with a friend, so we shall see.

I haven't done any type of exercise since I pulled/strained the muscle Saturday morning. I feel like a slob. I might have to go for a run this evening just to feed my appetite.

5. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Hooker, did you get that injury while leaning over to touch the floor on the suicides or when you turned around quickly, or was it just some weird overuse injury? Either way, ice it up and good luck man.

6. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I felt it pull while leaning over to touch the line. It sucks.

I guess it's what I get for trying to be an over-achiever.

7. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I knew it. But that is actually ok because the muscle you more than likely pulled will heal up quick. Hot bath + hamstring stretches prior to your run will enable you to run. Just make sure you ice it right after the run. My guess is that by Saturday that you will be ok. Good luck.

8. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Just a quick report, since starting my new dayshift Job and getting away from the 12 hr swings, its been easy going to the gym 4 days a week before work. Im sleeping so good now and its so much easier getting recovered. I was lucky to get 3 days a week on the old schedule and just being able to workout woth other people now is very motivating. It got kinda boring in my home gym. Im sore after every workout now and to me thats a positive thing. Im putting way more into it and have so much more equipment to work with. eating better has also gotten easier :)

9. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    VS,
    Great progess! That's really good.

Hooker,
    Hope you heal up quick.

Awesome Crick! A regular schedule makes a huge difference. .

As for me. official marathon training has started. And unfortunately so has the snow, so my runs have been on the treadmill. Regardless of weather conditions I will be outside for my long run this weekend. I'm stressing a bit already that work is wanting me to travel for several weeks in march & april and its going to really make it difficult to both train and be able to eat right during that time. I'm doing my best to negotiate out of it. It's not critical that I go(at least that's how i see it)

10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Rybo, good luck with the marathon. You are a tougher guy than me. When I get over 5 miles or so I feel like I have run a good distance. I cannot imagine running nearly five times that amount.

11. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I started my first exercise program since High school two weeks ago. It's not a lot but it will keep me in better shape. I am doing 30 minutes on the elliptical 3-4 times a week. By the machine's calculations, I'm burning 500 calories per working. So that is 1500-2000 calories/week which is almost a full day's worth of food. I am hoping it gives me more energy, and stamina in my daily life. I also want to stay at the 200 lbs mark.

12. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but those things are horribly unreliable. A general rule is half the amount of calories it calculates that you burned...

But it's good that you are getting back in to it.

13. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

That doesn't suprise me. But yeah I'm hoping it will help.

I'm running a heart rate of 130-140 for 30 min. Can't be a bad thing.

14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Brad, even if you are only burning 1,000 calories a week that adds up to about 1 pound of fat burned a month. Now, if you eat just 100 calories (1-2 cookies, one less piece of cheese...) less per day that will help you take away roughly another pound per month. That would mean that you would lose around 20-25 pounds over the next year. That is the way I look at weight loss. Weight loss should not be about dramatic results, but small lifestyle changes. GOOD job.

15. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Even if I can maintain my current weight I'm happy. When my kids get older and I get my life at home back I might consider more.

16. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Good dead GFY,,good advice given from the guys. Ill throw in another. Drink the hell out of water, if you can completly drop the soda pop do it, water is like your life blood :) when I quit drinking pop I had headaches for a week until my body finally got the junk purged out. It even makes your skin younger looking believe it or not.

17. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I drink 1 can of Mountain Dew with my lunch at work. I won't have any more than 1 a day. It's a good pick me up for the afternoon. Not sure I am ready to give that up.

18. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    If that is all the caffeine you are taking in, then you are fine. I am a coffee man myself as I don't like soda. In fact, I love coffee. :)

19. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I also have a travel mug full of coffee in the morning as well. :o

20. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I've started a new weight lifting routine this week that concentrates on bodybuilding and not just maintaining muscle. It has kicked my tail. Can't wait to see what kind of results I get at the end of this cycle.