Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    GA, good work man, way to surpass your personal goal by a mile.

Sean, good luck with the P90-X.

2. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a pic of me from the finish line.

[​IMG]

3. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on surpassing your goal, Phillip!

I'd like to start running to get into better shape. I don't need/want to lose weight as I am currently 180 lbs & 6'. I just want to get more exercise and stay heart healthy. Currently, my only exercise is hunting, working outside around the house (which can be strenuous depending on the task), paddling & fishing in the summer, and shed hunting in winter and early spring. I do NOT have a workout routine.

With that being said, I need some running shoes. Is there a reason to buy a more expensive and more custom shoe compared to one off the shelf? When I do run (a mile or less), my feet don't ache or feel uncomfortable. Not sure if thats due to the short distance or not. Any suggestions?

Right now my goal is to participate in an actual run. Some goal huh? I've just never done anything of the sort so showing up would be an accomplishment. :) I'd like to participate in my employers 5 or 10K run this coming May. I'm excited just thinking about it. Just realize, I hardly run at all (now) but would like to start training soon and actually do well in the race. <<<<< I guess thats goal #2. Any tips for getting me started? Just run, right?

Here's a link
    http://www.roanokefestival.org/html/festival_run.html

4. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone, this will be most likely be my next race http://www.rockcreek.com/southern6/home.asp

Donnie I personally have a higher dollar running shoe. I have a Brooks shoe, but I had to go that route because I do not have a neutral running position and needed extra support in the arch. I actually have both street running and trail running shoes. I've attached links to the shoes I have.

5. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That trail run looks cool. I always did enjoy running through the woods. It just seems more refreshing and less boring than anywhere else.

Thanks for the links. I was actually expecting them to cost more. I have a Fleet Feet store near me...I think I'll stop in and see what they're about. Did you go to a similar store to figure out what you needed?

6. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I went to a local store called Fast Break Athletics that specializes in running.

7. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the help, Phillip.

I'm excited to start running but a little worried that I won't stick with it. I guess that's to be expected. Just came across a cool website that has some good tips for newbies....never thought I'd be reading tips on how to run. :D

http://www.runnersworld.com/topic/0,7122,s6-238-520-0-0,00.html

8. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    No problem man! I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I do now when I started. I really started getting more into it when I started running on the streets and on trails. So far I've got about 7 races picked out to run in 2011 ranging from 5k to a half marathon just before the 2011 deer season.

9. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Hit another one of my goals today. I ran for 60 minutes in a row for close to 6 miles. At about the 20 minute mark I felt tired for some reason, but then I got a sick idea in my head to see what my body could do when it was tired....I thought Forest Gump and "just ran" in 20 degree temps and 15mph winds and made it.

10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I can finally say "I am in shape". My workouts continue to improve. I ran four miles yesterday then followed up with some interval running this afternoon. After a brief warm-up I wanted to test out my 300 yard times. I have not run a 300 yard sprint for time in about 12-13 years...lol. I started out and ran a 55 second 300 yard "sprint" and was kind of disgusted with myself. I walked 100 yards then ran another 300 in 48 seconds, walked 100 yards, then ran my last 300 yard sprint in 45 seconds. I followed that up with a 400 meter 90% sprint or so. I rested a couple of minutes and dropped down and did 60 push-ups and then 40 sit-ups in a row. I remember running those 300 yard sprints in 38-39 seconds over and over at 225 pounds in college. My god where did my strength and endurance go in the last 13 years. hahahaha. When I got home from the track I did more push-ups, abdominal work, and dumbell work. I ran about 15 miles this week, which is my most ever in a week. I know that is not a lot compared to some of you, but just six months ago I was in the worst shape of my life after getting "Mono" this spring. I bet I am just below a 7 minute mile with less than 4-5 months of running. My progress comes after having not run for over five years.

11. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good job VS, that is great progress

12. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go VS, keep it up!

13. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Guys, impressive read I must say :hail: congrats to all on your acheievements, you keep me inspired :) Im getting very excited as of this comming Monday. Some may remember the work position change I posted a while back and it starts Monday. We have a Gym where I work that by far surpasses some of the small town Gym's I have seen. I now will be going to work at 7:00 am to 3:30 instead of 6:00 am - 6:00pm or 6:00 pm -6:6:00am,,,this will allow me to use there Gym before work and likely 3-4 days a week and Ill do Cardio at home (because I have time now :moose:) I kinda got out of my good eating habits for awhile but have tweeked it since last week and lost 7 lbs without Cardio. I now weigh 206 lbs and have been doing mainly heavy lifting low reps but Im going to switch it up for awhile and do more reps with lower weight for 2 weeks and go back to heavy weights low reps for 2 weeks. It was hard keeping up with the workouts on the 12 hr swing shifts but man I cant wait get it rolling on my new schedule. Good luck everyone with what you do, God bless and have a Happy new year :wave:peace out,,,,,,,,,,,Crick

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  14. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like everyone is making some nice progress, and best to all that it continues in 2011!

For myself, I'm doing a good mix of Olympic weightlifting with cycling and running for cardio. It's been interesting as I've been going through DOMS since before the New Year. Haven't felt them since I had to stop lifting back in 2007 due to medical reasons. Ahh, it's good to feel them and know it's a good sort of ache!

For those looking for a different kind of challenge, take look here:

http://warriordash.com

It's finally in my area, in fact, less than 20 minutes away. But, it's the same day as a triathlon that I've been doing for the past couple of years.

15. slabcrappy

slabcrappy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have you ever done this?! It looks awesome! I do not think I am ready at this point, but it is not coming to New York until August....

Sal

16. xxForceTenxx

Dislikes Received:
    No, I haven't done that specifically. But, I can assure you that my time in the Marines doing obstacle courses, combat courses, etc in dry and muddy conditions was thoroughly enjoyable.

I do know a couple of people whom have run similar events and they have enjoyed them.

17. slabcrappy

slabcrappy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It looks awesome! I am thinking about doing this when they come to NY in August. Thanks for the tip.

Sal

18. xxForceTenxx

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck if you do! I really want to do it, but it means giving up my triathlon which I'm not about to do. So, perhaps next year or later this year I'll find one that's kind of close.

I love doing different athletic events like that. It's not the "norm" per se and makes things much more enjoyable.

19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Good work xxForce! Good job getting back into the mix.

20. xxForceTenxx

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. It's good to be back into a lifting program. It sucks that I'll never be able to go heavy and hard as I did before due to medical reasons. But, that's not entirely a bad thing! For example, smaller clothes, less eating, easier to get into/out of trees.

Only downside is, I don't think I'd win in a buck wrestling match... ;)