Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. scottymack

scottymack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right now it's tough eating right and getting in any kind of sustainable exercise. staying in the extended stay for the last month I find that eating quick easy meals are my down fall. it will be nice to get into the house and get back to walking and doing resistance training and eating better.

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The wife and I are going to do 14 minutes of the P90X ab routine tonight. This is our first workout together in a long time!

3. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brett:

For God's sakes, say you're kidding. You and the bride aren't really gonna be DOUBLE 'Bringin' It'.....are you?

Does it make you wanna cross your arms all "X-ey like" and take photos.......and squirt out a rhoid, you're flexing so hard? ;)

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    LOL! The guy that runs the video was a weirdo, but the wife and I sweated it out together. We basically just grunted and laughed until we could not move our stomach muscles anymore. I think I saw a 2 1/2 pack when I finished. :)

5. Iowa Bowhunter

Iowa Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm starting to bike alittle on my mountain bike. I'm about 20 lbs over what I should be for my height. I'm also using it to help me recover from my addication to chewing tobacco and alcohol.

6. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last winter I dropped 15 lbs and got down to my goal weight, then I decided to drop another 5 to use as a "buffer" for the summer, if that buffer gets down to 2-3 lbs I step it back up. Summer has been really hard for me to do a lot of cardio, but I still manage 3 or 4 times a week. I

7. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The heat index today is supposed to be around 118 degrees.

It's 8 am and it's already 90 degrees outside.

This evenings run is going to suck. Hard.

8. thndrchiken

thndrchiken Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been walking about three miles per day walking during my lunch hour. It sucks when having to drive 1 1/2 hrs to and from work, by the time I get home and eat dinner it leaves little time for anything else. I'm currently at 245 and would like to get down to 215-220 before the season starts. My ultimate goal is to be under 200 (haven't been there since I got out of the service in 96). My problem is that I really like beer and then munching in the evening. I've drastically cut back on the beer and been trying to rework the meal schedule to keep from the night time snacking. It's tough to keep up with the exercise with two bad knees and every time the weather changes so does the pain level in the knees. Oh well, all I can do is suck it up and hope that as the weight comes off the pressure on the knees will get better.

9. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you, Hook (I'm in Columbia, SC for the day).

Hook....your volume isn't what impresses me. The speed at which you run that volume, does. Kudos.

10. littleshooter

littleshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've always been an athletic person. These days i'm running about 5 miles/day and then lifting afterwards, usually 5-6 days/week. Just changed it up and went back to lifting by body part vs full body, circuit training (wasn't running as much at that time). Have to change it up as I tend to plateau after a couple months. Bad hearts run in my family; I'm the only one not on a high blood pressure or high cholesterol medication. Heredity plays such a huge factor so I'm controlling whatever I can by working out and eating healthy. Working out is also a great stress reliever and allows me some time to myself. And I feel better physically and mentally when I'm more lean and strong, so I won't be giving up the free weights and kettlebells any time soon. Also just got a TRX for the house, so excited to get that up!

11. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Such TRUE advice. Last year I went on my elk trip being able to run 8 miles with no problems at all. Lung capacity was great...Legs wore out during the climbs with a pack on. This year I am right about at my switchover point to hill repeats woth a heavy pack. I'm 5 weeks out, I may even be too late.

12. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    littleshooter....

Are you running 35mi./wk.....or running 5mi./day on the days that you do run? Just curious.

13. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    16 weeks ago I started the following routine and weighed 233.

Monday: AM-Running PM-Weights (Legs & Abs)
    Tuesday: AM-Elliptical PM-Weights (Complete Upper Body)
    Wednesday: AM-Running PM-Weights (Legs & Abs)
    Thursday: AM-Elliptical PM-Off
    Friday: AM-Running PM-Weights (Chest, Triceps, Abs)
    Saturday: Running, Weights (Back, Biceps, Shoulders)
    Sunday: Off

Along with the exercise, I have completely changed the way I eat. As of this morning I weighed in at 199. This is the first time I've been under 200 in 7-8 years! My goal initially was just to lose weight. Now I have a lot of interest in running. So I want to start off with 5Ks and move my way up to a half marathon.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  14. littleshooter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey GMMAT - I am running 5 miles/per day - usually about 5-6 days/wk.
    so 25-30 miles/week in total

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  15. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I'm not really a volume guy when it comes to training. I'm not the type that can run 8-10 miles everyday on routine, well I could, but that just seems way too monotonous. I enjoy my different work outs.

With that being said, if I was running the full trail marathon in November instead of the half, I would be running a lot more than I am at the moment.

16. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is awsome, between the 2 of us we are carrying 84ish less pounds into the woods this fall. Great job man, just great......

17. Florida Marine

Florida Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    PT is just part of my life...sort of expected. So I am in the gym every morning, not much of a runner any more...

We have two different fitness tests each year - PFT, 3 mile, 100 crunch in 2 min, and 20 pull ups, and the Combat Fitness Test, boots and utes, 1/2 mile run, ammo can lift and a maneuver to fire course...

I am running the Marine Corps Marathon 10k this year. I can shuffle 6 miles and it means I don't have to volunteer to work the marathon, which sucks.

18. wvhuntin4me

wvhuntin4me Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dont run well, but i do walk. 230 in march now 209. just trying to get to 195-200 by fall. As well as build strength.. high fiber for me.

19. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    This morning after doing 20 min on the elliptical, a 2 mile run and 6 mile bike ride, I decided I'd give the lap pool a go. Swimming has not been in my routine and wow I was surprised at how tired I got. I only swam 100 m but it was enough to convince me to add it to my routine.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  20. littleshooter

Dislikes Received:
    Swimming is amazing - so good for your heart, endurance, muscles and joints. The last time I got in the pool, I thought I was in great shape - it's amazing how different a swimming workout is compared to basic cardio or weights. Keep at it - it will only help you in every other aspect of your workouts!!