Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal. Once I heal up, I'll be back to training full swing. Unfortunately, it's too cold here in MN (for me at least) to do any more lake swims even with a wetsuit.

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have run three times in the past five days. My legs were a little bit tight tonight but my lungs felt pretty good. After a mile jog or so I ran a half mile to see where I am cardiovascularly. I ran a 3:22. I felt pretty rough after I ran it but within 2 minutes my heartrate was at a good level and I continued to do some more running. I feel my legs are strong right now, while my lungs are the limiting factor. I am going to change that within the next two weeks as I continue to incorporate interval training.

3. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck. I did 21mi. on the bike and 7.16mi. run back to back, today. I was pretty whooped. I didn't take anything to drink with me on my run. Bad move.

4. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    OK Call me slacker, It happens every year to me. Hunting season comes in and my workouts start slacking off :busted: Just when it was all going good to :ninja: As soon as im done its on again. ps: I didnt stop them, just not as often!
    Keep at it guys!!

5. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Completed a few firsts tonight:

1) Completed my first 10+ mile running week, ever. Ended out with around 13 total miles for the week.

2) Completed a 5.6 mile run tonight (longest run ever).

3) Ran 60 minutes straight tonight.(13 minutes longer than my longest ever)

My legs are dead and I am icing my lower back, but other than that I feel great. LOL

6. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome, Brett. FTR.....general rule is your long run every week shouldn't be more than around 1/3 of your weekly total volume. So.....add a mi. or so to your shorter runs, if you're gonna do the 5+mi. run.

I think what you're doing is cool! I did the same workout today I did Sunday (21mi. bike/7.15mi. run). I know what you mean about the legs!

7. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Jeff, I will keep that in mind. I need to up my base runs from around 2.5 miles to around 3-3.5 miles. It is time, I have a base now. Besides a little tightness in my lower back, the only other thing that was stressed more than normal were my lower calf muscles. They are going to be hurting tomorrow.

8. xxForceTenxx

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you're drinking plenty of fluids and recovery drink such as Gatorade, etc. Even in the cooler weather it's necessary. I get massive cramps in my calves when I get a little dehydrated.

I'm feeling frustrated myself... Was supposed to have started up on my new program a couple of weeks back. But, some stupid girl not paying attention (most likely texting) while driving hit me almost head on and now I'm doing physical therapy. Best I can do is take the dog out for a mile walk or so before my neck starts hurting. He loves it. I need more...

Sad part about all of it is that this was supposed to be my first year bow hunting too.

9. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Since deer season open my exercise went from 6 days a week to 4. It'll probably stay that way until the end of the season. I still have the weight coming off, but it is coming off at a little over 1lb a week instead of a little over 2lb a week. I'll be back to hitting it hard after the first of the year, because I really want to run a Sprint Tri next year.

10. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’m still fitting in a good amount of exercise even though the season is in. Mostly because I don’t feel I can have a productive after work hunt given the limited time and locations I have to choose from. (and I haven’t been in a doe whacking mood lately) So I just keep exercising.

I’m not worried about doing higher mileage runs, but I have been trying to go faster. I am also regularly doing the “barefoot” runs now. Note to self: a bumper acorn crop & bare foot running do not mix ;)
    On my off days I’ve gotten into doing body weight exercises as my “lifting”. There are a lot of creative variations to the regular old push ups & pull ups and I am seeing results quickly.

11. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Since I wore out my Vibram 5 Finger Sprints, I purchased the Vibram 5 Finger Bikilas. Took them for a run while in Aspen, and ran 4 miles on asphalt in them yesterday afternoon. Slighly thicker underfoort than the Sprints, so you don't feel as much of the small rocks/sticks as you do with the Sprints, so I've really enjoyed them so far.

[​IMG]

12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Guys, those shoes.....what do they do to help you become a better runner? How does one begin to utilize them in their overall training regimen? Thanks.

13. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1) They force you land mid to forefoot while running, which is one's natural running form. The thin rubber soul helps protect the foot from sharp rocks, sticks, etc.
    2) They are so freaking light. I hate running with heavy running shoes. Before I always ran in racing flats, but now I always want to wear the vibrams.
    3) They improve your overall form. Once you begin to land mid to forefoot, you will naturally straighten you back, and you will keep your feet underneath your body.

I wouldn't recommend jumping straight into them. If you want to see how your body can handle minimalistic running, start with some short runs in racing flats. Maybe do you real short runs (like 200 yards) barefoot in a field.

14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Hooker. I feel like I am extending a bit in my running form which is creating a bit of a forward lean. I want to improve my overall running form.

15. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I suggest you read up a LOT on barefoot running.....before taking it up.

16. xxForceTenxx

Dislikes Received:
    You can correct your running form without changing shoes (unless you're at that point of needing new ones ~300-500 miles). Square up your shoulders and think "fast feet" meaning a higher pace and you'll start to learn to land midfoot.

I've thought about minimalist shoes as well. But, the area I live in is under heavy construction and there's a lot of debris on the ground. Otherwise, I tend to walk barefoot thoughout most of the time I'm not at work.

17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I was actually talking to my dad last night telling him I felt better and more solid when I actually shortened my strides/picked up my stride rate so that I felt more linear. I will try out your suggestion on my run tomorrow.

18. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well of course

The Vibrams (or any other minimalist shoe) just help with the transition to a proper foot strike. Even in my racing flats, when I would start to get tired, I could feel my form getting sloppy, I would have to mentally focus on my form. I haven't had that case with the Vibrams. You don't want to heel strike in them. You'll pay for it.

19. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can learn how to run better by running more. Honestly.....there aren't too many ways to do it WRONG.

Don't overthink this. There's nothing wrong with heel-striking, if that's your natural running style. Nothing needs to be "corrected".

There are MANY, MANY elite-level runners who are heel strikers. If it was something they felt needed "correcting", don't you think they'd have done it?

A friend of mine (who is a great runner) said:

Where you land on your foot will have little/no impact on speeds, where you land in relation to your body will.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  20. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not going to get into a forefoot vs heel strike debate. It will never be settled. The most elite runner I know (All American XC runner at LSU and has trained with olympians) is a heel striker. I just know that when I made the conscience decision to transition to more of a midfoot strike, my runs improved.