Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I need to change up my routine. Even though I vary my workouts up quite a bit I am still just running, doing push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups....I am going to do some different stuff over the next two weeks to change up my workout and allow my body to knit back up a bit. I am thinking of some plyo work, hitting the heavy bag as a cardio workout, clap push-ups, and a bunch of different things to jump start my body.

2. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is nothing better than destroying a heavy bag after a long, frustrating day at work. Great workout as well. Find about 5 heavy, quick tempo songs that last about 4-5 minutes, and beat the crap out of the bag for the entire song, rest for a bit, then on to the next song.

3. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Hooker, one can add another couple cardio workouts a week while hitting the heavy bag. It does not stress the legs too much which means you can do a cardio workout the next day as well. It is great for the core as well ( as you know). I need to drop about another 4-5 pounds anyways, so I can use the extended time burning calories. I am putting my heavy bag back up today.

4. HarryH

HarryH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am a big fan of strength training, i.e. Lifting heavy through compound movements. Getting stronger is my current focus now.

5. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    :rock:

That's my favorite way to lift as well. Deads, squats, Oly lifts. All the good stuff!

6. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My focus this last summer has been all cardio. I had so much weight to loose and training for triathlons I solely focused on that, but with my season over now I will be putting more of an effort on a weights and core work.

7. xxForceTenxx

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be right there with you. This season was difficult for me in terms of training. But, I managed to drop some significant weight and improve my triathlon times. My dislike was the strength and muscle mass I've lost in the process.

I'm looking at a 2-3 days/week of primarily compound lifts and 3-4 days of cardio.

8. littleshooter

littleshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a half marathon coming up in early Nov and full in Feb. I have never done so much cardio in my life! I miss my weights and kettle bells. Still lifting a little bit on my "cross train" days, but nothing like the 5 days/week I was lifting. I've been able to maintain the majority of my muscle mass so far, am around 12% body fat, but my strength has gone out the window. Amazing how quickly that goes!! Should have a great 10 mile run Saturday - 50 and sunny along the lakefront.
    PS. These races could not be at a worse time - having to change up when I do the long runs in order to get out in the stand, as weekends are my only time to hunt.

9. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    littleshooter....good luck!

Ferg.....I'm a little more than apprehensive. But, I'll probably sign up for a spring HIM, this weekend. I'll let you know. But, it'll probably be IM Galveston or IM New Orleans.

10. xxForceTenxx

Dislikes Received:
    Very cool to see there's so many triathletes and runners on here. :)

I was supposed to do a HIM earlier this month but had to bail due to far too many issues occurring. :\

My biggest hurdle right now is to get out hunting. Something I've never done before...

11. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ran my half-marathon, this morning. I awoke to the wind blowing the light rain - sideways. 55deg.

It stayed that way until we took the line. We were standing under the grandstands at ECU's football stadium to stay out of the weather as long as possible. The wind died down over the course of the run.....and it probably rained 1/3-1/2 of the time I was on course.

My goal, having never run this distance (or ANY road race) was to beat 2hrs. I was gonna have to do +/- 9min/mi. to do that. My strategy was to take it easy on miles 1-2; bank time on miles 3-7; relax on miles 7-10 and run my heart out on the last 5K.

That got abandoned....lol. I felt pretty good, and I just ran by perceived exrtion the whole way.

1:52:59. Tickled to death with that time.

I'm gonna sign up for a spring ironman 70.3, this week.

12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Good job Jeff! Way to stay focused on your goals and get it done.

13. xxForceTenxx

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice time!

14. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, guys. I went back and looked....and I'm tickled to death with my avg of 8:34/mi..

15. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You are a machine hoss...congrats on the completion of a goal. nothing feels quite like setting a goal and seeing the fruits of your labor pay off.

16. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again Jeff!

17. ICALL2MUCH

ICALL2MUCH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As you should be! Congrats on meeting your goals. It's a never ending cycle!

18. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Ferg....

Come with me to New Orleans in April. I just hit the send button. I'm entered in Ironman 70.3 - New Orleans (2011).

Now, I just need to learn how to swim.:tu:

19. xxForceTenxx

Dislikes Received:
    Hop to it. That 1.2 mile swim can be a bear! Especially if the temps are warm enough that they won't allow you to wear a wetsuit.

20. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's been wetsuit legal the last 2 yrs.. I'm gonna prepare for it NOT to be. But, the money's on it being legal. My new wetsuit should arrive, this week. It's still warm enough for me to get in a few lake swims before the lakes get too cold. I'll do just that.