Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fantastic Rob. Keep up the lifestyle change.

2. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed! That's taking care of business :rock: Congrats!

3. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Rob, after seeing your Doe kill photos I was thinking man He has lost some weight ;) awesome bro, awesome!!

4. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any of you boys use a GPS watch? I'm "running(relative)" anywhere from 2.5-4 miles a day at lunch, but unless I'm on a rode where I can get my car i have no idea how far I'm running. I know that twice around our campus is 3 miles, but I get tired of the same 3 mile run. I'd like it to be as inexpensive as possible. I'm looking at the Garmin 205 and the timex ironman(too expensive but I'd prob. wear as a everyday watch). Don't need nothing fancy as I'm going through shoes fast enough to kill the budget. Suggestions?

5. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brandon:

Check ebay. My local running shop had the watch I ended up buying for $400. I paid $265, new (ebay). Garmin makes cheaper models.

Call me....and come over hunting, sometime. Open invite.

6. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    16.5 aren't anything to shake a stick at. I have extremely long arms so arm and shoulder work is what my body is better at. Preacher curls with the EZ curl bar is by far the best bicep exercise. I hate chest workouts. I hardly do bench work. I do it just enough to keep up with how far I've come. I haven't maxed out in months and really have zero desire too...besides the wife likes the cannons!

7. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    a good friend of mine uses the garmin 305 watch... uses it on bike and run, it is VERY cool... keeps track of vertical as well as heartrate and etc... tons of useful data to be had there...

8. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I jogged a mile tonight followed by two, 1/2 mile 90% runs. I wanted to do each 1/2 mile in under 3:45. I did the first one in 3:50, rested 3 minutes, then ran the second one in 3:32. I walked the mile home a little bit exhausted. My body is not used to that type of workout so it shut down near the second 1/2 mile. The 3:32 1/2 mile was tough for me. I cannot believe my younger brother ran the 800 meters in 1:59 his junior year in highschool and I cannot even run under 3:30 in the 800 yards! hahahahaha, I am slow.

9. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you ran 1/2 mi. you ran 880yds.

See.....you're faster than you thought.

10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:

hahaha! I am glad you caught that because I got mixed up! You are right, I am 80 yards faster than I thought, but still way slow. :)

11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Hit one of my goals tonight. I was finally able to do 50 push-ups in a row. I did 53.

12. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go, Brett :tu: Stay on it!

13. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    These are some decent numbers on the lifting. Not sure your B/W and age (haven't read the whole thread, please excuse me for that). But, for a home trainer, not bad.

If you're looking to up the weights at home, scour the papers and Craig's List for used weights. Most times, you can get them for pennies on the dollar. I have about 700 lbs of plates, and #3 up to 85# pairs of dumbbells.

I too am a home trainer starting to come back after major health issues. If you're concerned about safety, you can make some blocks to go under the weights, or chains from rafters as safety spotters. My rack has safety rails which is a nice bonus.

14. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last long run before my half marathon, this AM. Felt good.....REALLY good about mi. 8. 12mi. run, in the books. I'll only run about 9-10mi. total, this week, tapering for the 1/2. That'll feel awesome.

15. xxForceTenxx

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck on the half marathon!

16. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Well thanks man. Im 45 and vary between 195- to a dab over 200 lbs. I do see used weights on Craigs list all the time. One place is a Gym near me that seems to always have used plates for sale. I just need to go buy them :tu: I have safety pegs on my Bench but just hate the thought of going back over my head to get it on there. I did see a neat thing the other day a guy had rigged up. It was a chain attached to both ends of the bar. It was rigged to an electric chain hoist that he operated with his foot. He was doing insane negatives. Dam you have a Great range in the Dumbells, I only have up to 35's but need way more but dam there $$$. I was at the Work gym the other day and was able to go up to 60lb dumbells on the militry presses (with good form) Im able to do shrugs with the 75's but thats all they go up to. I do have a trap bar now for shrugs so I can go with heavy plates. I love that thing and They are finally comming along. personal trainer sounds like a cool Job!

17. xxForceTenxx

Dislikes Received:
    45 yo, 200 lbs, not bad then. Good form, focus and you'll be up there even further in no time. Don't rush anything, especially the deads, otherwise you'll find yourself where I am: starting over.

Myself, I've been mostly active for most of my life. Was an avid bicyclist growing up (century rides not uncommon almost daily), then joined the Marines. Got out, marriage, family started putting the weight on in a few short years. Got into Tae Kwon Do and weightlifting at the same time. Did Tae Kwon Do for about 8 years, attaining a 2nd Degree black belt. Got interested in doing Scottish Heavy Games and switched into that from Tae Kwon Do and went that route for a few years before medical complications made me retire.
    Now, I do triathlons (haven't lifted since 2007). Lost a lot of mass and not liking the significant decrease in strength, so I'm going to see if I can bring back some muscle mass and strength while not taking a significant hit in aerobic performance.

I'll have to go back through the thread and read so I'm up to speed on it. Good to see a training support thread like this! :tu: I'll be happy to share my knowledge and experiences with others if need be. Can't say I'm a personal trainer though. I'm just your "Average Joe" who's been involved in a lot of things. :beer:

18. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    wow, looks like you have very much experience in this area :rock: I hear you on the after getting married and raising kids about letting yourself go. I was there and back in 04-05 I believe I was a very unhealthy 230 lbs. I had asthma when doing strenuious work and decided to do something about it. I dont have asthma anymore :rock: I did get down to 179lbs last summer, felt like a spring after doing p 90X but just aint comfy at that weight range, and the strength went down. I would like to get to 190 and a little leaner as im starting to get a slight tube again LOL! My goal is 400 lbs in the dead and 265 on the Bench, I have long arms :mad: so it kills me on the bench.
    Ill keep at it on the heavy and low reps until Bow season is over then probably concentrate more on lower reps and a little cardio to try and get back to 190 lbs.
    Brett, Jeff, and all others, good job people on what you do :hail:

19. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I will say all the training really made a difference in how I felt out in the mountains. Some days I covered some miles & made so pretty good climbs, but my legs & lungs felt great. Can't wait to get back to some runs actually & see how they feel.

20. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have really scaled back my workout now that triathlon season is over for me. Still working out but only a few days a week now versus daily before. Haven't lost any weight since doing this but haven't gained any either.