Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hooker.....

How fast? How many?

What about 1/2's? How fast? How many?

I never thought I'd really enjoy running. But, I do.

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, I'm running about 6-8 miles a week right now. I am also doing a lot other things to get in better shape. Heck, I ran two miles last week and stopped every 400 yards and did 20 quick push-ups. I did 160 push-ups over the course of the two miles and I did not even really break a sweat.

Sean I do not have anyone to run with me. The one thing about me is that I have always been self-motivated and inventive when working out. I will get it done, because I have to you know.

3. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brett:

Only thing I'm saying is.......my weekly volume is around 35-45mpw. I do NO speedwork, due to the reason I cited. From what I'm learning (from some REAL runners......of which I am not....lol), I don't have the base/continuity to do it, yet. I hope to add some speed work in the spring.

4. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Well I know most on this thread are cardio for the most but ill post anyway. I primaraly work out at home but sometimes go to the Gym where I work ,and believe me its state of the art, actually better than some gyms I have seen. Any who, decided to try more weight on chest day today since I actually had spotters. Dont have any at home so im limited. My bence went as follows, warmed up with 135 for 10 reps. went to 205 for 6 reps ( I had quite a bit more ) but was wanting to stay low reps in order to build up my bence with more weight, went to 225 for 5 reps, I think I could have done 7. went to 245 for 1 but could have got 2 I believe, them TRIED 255 but failed :violin: Im tickled with that (Im old damit) :busted: My deadlifts are comming up to. I only have 300 lbs at home but last week at the work gym was doing 315 for 5 reps after working up to it then tried 365 for 1 and got it fairly easy. working into it slowly. Im older and feel stronger than ever before :confused: what gives? No I just need to start some light cardio and get the waist back down to 33. Im wearing tight 34's now :mad:

5. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's gettin' after it, Crick... way to go :rock:

Brett, the state AG's office sets the standards for police officer certification, based on the 50th percentile (nationally).... our age bracket demands the 1.5m be ran in 12:25 (without the crazy wind), so you're ahead of the curve :tu:

And I enjoy running with the guys, from time to time... but when I'm really training, I like to fly solo. My results are much better, alone!!

6. Chris Miles

Chris Miles Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go Creek. I like to lift the weights to. Thats the good thing about muscle if you keep using them they will respond. Been getting some great cardio on my road bike, I really enjoy it because the paved trails we have here run thru woods. My shortest route will burn an average on 658 cals in just about an hour. My longest route about doubles that. According to my Garmin bike computer anyways.

7. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Chris....How many miles per week are you cycling, now? Sounds like I need to get on your program!

My cycling is paltry! Swimming is worse!

8. Chris Miles

Dislikes Received:
    Still doing about 80 a week. My long trip is only just over 20 miles and my short route
    (after work route) is just over 12. Plug the Garmin into the PC when I get home and it shows my exact route times elevations etc. so it's kind of fun to compare one week to the next.

9. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome, Chris. Which Garmin are you using? I have the 310XT....and the ANT is cool!

10. Chris Miles

Dislikes Received:
    I got the Edge 500. It is ANT compatible but I have not bought the acc for it yet.

11. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Crick....Great job on your lifting. I wish I could look like a weight lifter and run like a deer!

12. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1 road and 1 trail full marathon

Road: 3 hr 43min
    Trail: 4 hr 12min

3 trail 1/2s, fastest time 1hr 48min

13. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome, Hook. Thanks. I can only dream!

14. littleshooter

littleshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is awesome! This will be me second half (my first was brutal!) and my first full...so we'll see how it goes. Both trail....

15. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Hey thanks, Great job on the triathalons, I wish I had that kind of will power. 12 hr shifts keep me at bay. I want lifting and cardio but its hard to squeeze them both together. I did do 1 mile last week and it went fairly easy and its been since last summer since i ran. Im wanting to get back to the 3 mile run I used to do with some nasty hills but just once a week instead of 3 days a week like I used to. Great job everyone on what you do,,,im impressed with I read. It was back and bicep day today. went to the work place gym again. went up to 370 on the dead lifts today and a couple sets of chins and dumbell rows. used straight bar for 3 sets of curls then went to dumbells for 3 more sets. then finished off with hammer curls and one arm curls on a machine for a burn. My triceps are sore from yester days dips :violin:Shoulders tomorrow and abs. rest day then legs. Keep at it everyone!! ;)

16. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    :hail::hail::hail: I can only squeeze out 16.5

17. flstnhd

flstnhd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At the beginning of the year I decided I wanted to get in better shape. No excuse for the shape I was in except being lazy. My place of employment ran a "Biggest Loser" contest so I figured that would help motivate me. Through exercise and diet I was able to lose 52 pounds over a 16 week period. Here is a before and after pic from last hunting season and this one.

[​IMG]

18. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rob....

WOW.

Congratulations.

19. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rob That's awesome!!! Congrats!

I will be posting a before and after when I hit 50# lost too