Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    yuck, happened there bro??

2. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shark bite.

lol....nope. Long story - short....have you seen the 1gal. size cans (bulk green beans)? We've been supplementing our dog's diet with green beans/less food. I was getting the last out of a can, and it slipped. The lid was still attached and it went between my fingers. When I looked down, I could see everything inside....lol. Little tendon repair and a few stitches.

Hurts - None. But, I'm not sure I can swim. If the doc says I can do it, I will (race, Sunday). It's really a training day (the way I'm looking at it), anyway. I'd like to have a good run split.

3. SevenMag

Dislikes Received:
    had an incident similarly yrs ago when an impact tool spun a suspension part around and cut my wrist open... no blood at all but I could see my wrists 'guts' working in there... still can't wear a wrist watch on my left wrist cuz of it...

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dang Jeff, that must hurt! Get a Brett Favre pain injection or a 25 pill Vicodin ingestion to ease the pain!

I ran some extended "sprints" up a nasty hill last night and jogged down to recover. My heartrate was hurting! But I love it!

5. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How'd you do, Ferg? Splits/dist's?

My cycling sucks, right now. I'm just hoping to survive the swim and bike, tomorrow (I'm gonna tape my hand up and run it).

Would love to go 1:15 (300M/20K/5K). Pretty much the same course I went 1:16:52 on in June. But, the bike course is tougher. Run course is the same. I'm gonna lose time in the swim and bike. I hope to make up time (over last time) in the run, though. Don't know if it'll be enough to reach my goal, though.

Half marathon on 10/3 -- hoping to go <2hrs.

5K on 10/16 -- hoping to go 23:XX.

6. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I am on day 3 of a 4 day break from working out. I have been working out 5-6 days a week for 3 months and I am just tired. I had some fantastic workouts over the past two weeks and I am drained. I need to pick up the protein intake, eat some vegetables, and just stretch/walk to get back on track. Getting back at it on Monday.

7. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1:12:04

No idea on my splits. I knew the swim was gonna suck (I've swam 3X in 3mos.). I felt like my transitions weren't great. I didn't think my bike was great. I hung on for the run.

Beat my goal by almost 3min.. The splits will be interesting.

**Edit ---- 77th out of 441 participants (that finished). The splits actually weren't that interesting.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  8. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome thread guys! Excellent idea, Ryan!

I just spent the last 7 months in the Police Academy (graduated last week), and my body has reached a level that I haven't seen since high school football. I'm 35 now, and was the second oldest cadet in the class. We have state-imposed physical standards, which must be met for completion. They're based on age/decade; 20-29, 30-39, etc... I'm happy to report that I far exceeded my age group and in fact, spanked most of the 20-29 y/o's.

I ran 3-5 miles, 3x a week...and did military style work outs until I puked, on many occasions. We did one 10 mile run, which is easily the most I've ever ran in one session... one of the highlights of the entire academy, for me!

It's easy to get motivated when 3-4 giant, shaved head, badge-wearing, former/marines are screaming at the top of their lungs.... walking up and down the ranks, looking for ANY excuse to have you drop and give them 50, or order 50 burpies for the entire squad. But what I see on this thread is a bunch of motivated, dedicated, great guys who are getting it done by their selves, and for their selves.

That's enough to make me want to drop and give all of YOU guys 50! :tu:
    So, thanks for the motivation!!

9. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Josh, congratulations to you! That is an awesome achievement.

10. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go, Josh. That's quite an accomplishment.

11. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Brett & Jeff, thanks guys! A life altering experience, to say the least :tu:

12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I just completed a 1.5 mile run at about 90%+ effort. I ran it in 12:15. I ran into a dang headwind from hell of about 10-12mph. I had not run in 5 days so I think today was a good baseline indicator of my 1.5 mile fitness level as my lungs were not primed but my legs felt strong. I am not much of a distance runner so I do not know what a 10-12mph headwind will do to one's time over a mile and a half. I just read weather.com and it shows the gusts at almost 20mph. Geez.

13. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Little over 8mm.

Pretty darned good for someone your size - running at your volume. Kudos.

14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Jeff. I actually felt a little sluggish today but that is ok. I am going to be alternating 2-3 mile runs with some interval type training like sprint 400m, jog 400m, run a hard 800m,jog 800m, etc. I would like to be down around 11:00 for the 1.5 mile run by January 2011. Short term goal is 11:30 by mid-October. I think those times are fully attainable given that my lungs did not feel good today and I was running into a strong headwind. My weight is starting to slowly drop again after being stalled out for 3 weeks. If I drop 10 pounds I will be a running machine!

15. SevenMag

Dislikes Received:
    i'm still stayin off of da run... knee and ankle won't support it yet... been going about our neighborhood now for a while on the bike... gently though... only doin about 2 laps (3 mi) before I get sore... hoping to extend those distances next week to about 5mi... slowly but surely... once I'm confident on 5mi I'm goin lookin for a new road bike and start spinning up my distances...

16. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brett:

Just do some research on doing speed work on a light volume. I just don't want to see you get hurt.

Good luck.

17. littleshooter

littleshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love reading about everyone's experiences and achievements - definate motivation - so thank you! I'm in the midst of training for a 1/2 marathon in early November and a full in February. 9 mile run Saturday along the lakefront (Lake Michigan) - gorgeous run at 9mm. I think my biggest challenge is going to be the elements once it starts getting really chilly, snow & ice. Guess it'll keep it interesting!

18. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is outstanding. Rybo did a half marathon this year. Ferg did one at the end of his 70.3, recently.

Don't know anyone here who's done a marathon. I know one that won't do one! Good luck.

19. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    *raises hand

20. Florida Marine

Florida Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Brett, you have anyone to run with?

Over the years...I have only improved when I had someone to challenge me, you can't get that much better by yourself (my experience).