Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rybo what workout plan are you using? And what plan are you following GMMAT?

I have been using www.ontri.com for about a year now. It is a totally free site that you put in your race, date and experience and it will produce a workout schedule for you. You log your workouts and can also log nutrition and weight. I have had huge success with it. Big reason why I was able to do my HIM this season already when I was 70lbs heavier just less then a year ago. They have training programs for all triathlon distances and marathons.

2. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used Higdon's intermediate and added to it. One thing I'm gonna need help with, is tapering. I've never had to worry about it. 4 weeks 'til my HM, and I have no idea how to taper down......when to take my last long run....etc... .

3. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't really taper for Steelhead so I don't know that I really have any suggestions for you. I will definetly need to figure that out come next August but I have plenty of time. Way to much training between now and then!

4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

update:

so my distance has updated to 18-25 mpw, depending on 4 or 5 days and intensity(how I am feeling or how good the book I am reading is ;) )

After one long plateau where I was losing 0-1# per week, I am down 40#s total from my heaviest. (The copied post was from 8/08, so I ony lost 7 pounds in 4 weeks :(.. most of it the last week). But hey, any progress is progress.

I started this seriously in June ... I had to wait cuz Hooker put that hilarious post out after the new year about the New Year resolutionists ... lol ...

I am down 2 pant sizes and still have more to go...will keep you updated ...

thanks for this thread, guys ... I LOVED it! :tu:

5. Chris Miles

Chris Miles Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go Tony!

6. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go Tony! I really started this back at the beginning of March and I was about 220lbs. I am stuck at 179 now and just can't get past it. My weight fluctuates every day a pound or two but that is it. But I am also down 2 pant sizes. Sucky part of that is I just purchased 5 pairs of jeans back in March and none of them fit me now so with this cool weather that we are starting to get it is time to get out and do some shopping.

7. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Rybo.....

I never REALLY thought <2hrs was realistic.......until today. I set out for my long run for the week, at 6:00AM (in the dark). Mid 50's temps. Wonderful.

My goal was only to see if I could maintain 150+bpm for 11mi.. I avg'd 154bpm and finished the run in 1:42:38. What was cool was, my last 5 splits were 9:12; 9:12; 9:06; 9:04; 9:01. I had negative splits from mi. 4 on.

If I don't do it, I'm gonna scare it to death.

40.04mi., this week. I won't do that, again!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  8. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good job Jeff, I'm glad you are picking up confidence. I think your unfamiliarity to running left you hesitant but I think you are going to surprise yourself.
    Good luck!

Jim,
    I plan to use a modified Intermediate Higdon plan for my marathon. Its far enough off, right now I'm just kind of out in limbo just runnng to no set schedule

9. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't been able to run for over a week due to the high temps after work, so I've been on the rowing machine. Went for a run this morning for speed to see what I could do. Ran 3.06 miles and held a 7:10/mile pace, although it was more like a 6:20 first mile, then hit a bit of a wall around the 2.25 mile mark:busted: Certainly a long ways from my 17:26 5K PR from when I was 16.

10. Florida Marine

Florida Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is a great pace...

Wish I could get back into a low 7 min three mile. Bad knees and 21 years of abuse from martial arts have me in the 8's now. Ran my worst 3 mile in over 20 years here in Jun, 25:40.

That and I just have started to flat out hate running lately.

11. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't even comprehend a 17:XX min. 5K. Simply awesome.

I DID have a really good brick training session, this AM with a buddy (who IS a runner....lol). We did 18mi. on the bikes, pre-viewing the course for the upcoming tri we both have on 9/19. The ride was good. My run was great (for me). We did the 5K course, after our ride.

I've been avg-ing 30+mpw the last several weeks.....topping out at 40mi., last week. On this same course (my last tri), my last 5K time was a hair over 28min.. Today, I did it in 24:47. It's not much under 8m/mi. (7:59). But, it's progress!

12. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I ran a 5K race yesterday and couldn't believe that 3 guys went sub-17! I had a terrible run, was hoping to go in the 23's but didn't feel good so went 25:12. But time to prepare for my last triathlon of the season now this coming saturday!

13. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck, Ferg. After my 1/2 marathon, I'm gonna do some running races. I really wanna see what I'm capable of in a 5 & 10K. I wouldn't have figured I could go sub-25, today. I guess running with someone who could walk off and leave me helped.

14. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, guys. However, this was 100% flat, so that helped my time a bit. That 17:26 was an XC race with LOTS of hills...I would hate to see what my time would be on that course today:o

15. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks GMMAT! Should be a great race. The lake is beautiful only tough part will be a monster hill that I will have to climb twice on the bike and once on the run! Other then that the race should be a ton of fun. Racing the Olympic distance for the first time but after Steelhead don't think it should be any big deal!

16. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dude......It's a big deal if you RACE it. Run it to just finish? I wouldn't think it would or should scare you. It shouldn't.

Absolutely NO offense on your HIM recently.......but the more I get into this, the more FAST people impress me. That sprint or Oly can hurt you a LOT more than the HIM probably did.

Good luck to you, this weekend.

17. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Not bad at all! My brother was able to go sub 17 when he ran XC, I didn't:cry: We ran against schools that had top kids running in the upper 15s:jaw:

18. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did a 15.1mi. run this morning. Missed negative spits by a total of 15sec. on 2mi.

I'm pretty sure I'm ready for my half-marathon. I have one more triathlon, next Sunday. Then, my half is on 10/3.

19. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, you are in GREAT position for your half.
    Good luck in the tri in the mean time,

As for me, switching up the running for some heavy pack hiking the last couple weeks seems to be working pretty good. Busted out 7.5 mile run last night without any issue and this morning my legs don;t even feel like I ran at all.

20. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, Ryan. I'm going to try to swim, today. I'm not sure if I can, or not. If I can, I'll run the tri. If I can't, I'll just defer my entry to next year.

I did this, Friday.....

[​IMG]