Evolved Harvest Shot Plot

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Dalton, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking about planting Evolved Harvest Shot Plot Forage Attractant on my family's farm in SE Minnesota as a food plot this summer. There are a lot of crops in the area and was thinking that the rape and turnip mix would provide some variaty. I also was thinking about planting this in a small clearing by some apple trees near a bedding area (It would be a first year plot). I was wondering what you all think of this product and/or the plot location.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is the mix just turnip and rape alone?

How's the canopy-cover over this plot?

Do you have the proper PH for brassicas? If yes, have at it. If no, get directions on what ferts you need to add.

I'm a big fan of rape and turnips as seed goes and believe they are two things to incorporate nearly anywhere as no mass ag fields in my area have them. Late season the starches will turn to sugar and over the years the deer will figure out what the turnips are and HAMMER them.

3. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The mix is 3 variaties of rape and 2 of turnips. The product description says that it fights weeds very well. I'm not sure of the pH levels at the moment, but it has been part of a cattle pasture as long as I can remember, cattle haven't been in that pasture in a few years.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ph test is pivotal in any plot and simple to do (dig up some around the plot put in baggy) and have a local seed place take a look at it.

Good mix, I'd also not be afraid to add a dusting of oats in it for green palatable tasting as well.

5. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input!!