Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Ever have a bow you just don't shoot well?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Mod-it, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This bow, my Solution, has been a pretty good learning experience for me. Even though I've been shooting bows for over 30 years, I have always just set them up in a very standard fashion and the end result was what it was. I didn't know any different or realize how much slight changes in little setup things can have an overall big impact in how a bow holds.
    Set arrow height with bottom of arrow through center of Berger, set poundage where I wanted it, let off was what it was. Set peep height by closing eyes, drawing and anchoring, and then open eyes and see how alignment was with sight housing on a 30 yard distant target.

I was so frustrated with the Solution that I had stripped all accessories off it and put it in the closet, with intent to sell it. Bought a used Revolt-X, immediately saw much better pin float after setting it up and solely shot it through Spring and most of the Summer.
    Good thing I tend to procrastinate.

Around July I saw a Paige Pearce video about all the things she does when setting up a new bow to "make it hold better". In the video she said that many things can affect how a bow holds: slight draw length changes, peep height, cable tensioner setting, arrow height in Berger, tiller, holding weight, and timing. I wanted to try it but didn't want to have my Revolt-X out of commission since I still wanted a bow dialed in for practicing and going to 3d shoots. Then I thought, why not use the Solution? It's just sitting in the closet still and I'm not using it at all anyway. Good candidate since it held so terribly for me.

I don't have a press (just bought one this weekend, very excited to have one), so I could really only mess with slight draw length adjustments and holding weight with Lucky Stops and just adjusting overall draw weight, arrow height in Berger, cable tensioner setting, peep height, tiller, nock point / d-loop height, and d-loop length.
    I took the Solution to a shop and had them set the bow so that timing was dead even, axle to axle was spot on, brace height was spot on, and had them set a peep in the string but leave it untied.
    I spent probably two weeks as I had time, messing around with all of the above that Paige had talked about that I could adjust. I found that holding weight made a substantial difference in how it held, d-loop length was substantial as well, and was really surprised at how much moving the peep up or down an 1/8" would change how the pin floated on a dot at 20 yards. I couldn't notice any real pin float difference when changing tiller or the cable tensioner setting. I probably just don't have the aptitude to notice the difference that a Pro would, not surprising.

I tied a d-loop on, not cinched down so much that I couldn't twist it up and down the string to move my nocking point, and a bit long so I could adjust it shorter and shorter as I went. I would draw back and hold the pin on a dot at 20 yards, then let down, make an adjustment to whichever thing I was trying, and then see how it held again. Never shot an arrow, just check pin float and let back down. One thing at a time until I seemed to have the best pin float I could get per each thing Paige had talked about. I did all of this with no stabilizers on the bow.

I can't express how much of a difference it made. It is like a completely different bow. I have shot it solely since doing this, just love how it holds and shoots for me now. I will never not setup a new-to-me bow without going through this kind of setup process.

Bryant martineai likes this.