Evening sits

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by fox hollow 2, Oct 31, 2014.

1. fox hollow 2

fox hollow 2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you guys do when several deer show up at your stand right before dark (besides shoot them)? This happens alot. It seems like the deer in my area are not moving until right at dark. Then im stuck in my tree until they leave. I waited until they left last night, but was in the stand nearly an hour after dark. I don't want to do this every time. What do you guys do about this?

2. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wait until dark then try and sneak out. That's what I had to do last week. Had some nice bucks in the field behind my stand. They all came out right before dark. Two were left when I finally decided to sneak through. I didn't spook them (to my knowledge) - they just walked off into the corn.

3. NwBowhunter

NwBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well. personally i think, just get down as quietly as you can, with everything packed so you can get the heck out of there quiet and fast. have a escape route in your mind before you get down, and try your best not to spook them, if you do, they'll come back sooner, or later.

4. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe try moving your stand inside woods where they are entering. Go in about 50 yards. Maybe they'll come thru there early enough to shoot

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife starts the 4 wheeler and just drives around. We do it all the time so it is normal to them and they just trot off. Never has seemed to bother them.

6. woodsy211

woodsy211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually wait it out if I can, but if not I'll have whoever is hunting with me kick then out so at least they don't figure out where I'm at.

7. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If they are on a field you can either have someone drive a truck around or a 4 wheeler and they'll usually leave the field or you can use a coyote howl call, that usually works too. But if they are right by you I would just wait until they leave.

8. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is good advice. Lots of outfitters pick up hunters by driving a truck right to the stand for the same reason. Vehicle traffic doesn't spook deer like walking does

9. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just try to wait until they move on... this happen to me last year an a day where the snow was extra crunchy because of a snow/sleet mix the day before and a rapid temp drop...6 deer had finally moved off after 45 mins of being within 50 yards of my stand for some time...i got into the thick trail i take in and out and they start working back towards me so, I walked bent over and tried to make myself sound like a deer walking with pronounced heel/toe steps so it sounded like I was a 4 legged animal instead of two...had a doe pass 15 yards behind me cutting my trail without a blow or jump from being spooked

10. fox hollow 2

fox hollow 2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I will just have to wait it out. I am hunting deep in the woods already, so there is really only one way in and out.

11. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I usually wait. If I need to get out of there I'll start throwing bark off the tree or even just kind of unreal grunts. Usually doesn't spook them and they just kind of trot off. I guess it makes the uncomfortable enough to leave but not enough to not come back. Have done this with the same deer across several nights before.

12. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually have to wait too. I would rather do that than spook a giant I might never see. Do you get cell signal do that you can let someone know you are alright ?