Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Euro Mount a horned animal?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bryan Jeffrey, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I have a Horned animal Im doing a euro mount. Im not going to have time to finish it today, and I wont have time tell Friday. Im trying to think of the best way to store it. I dont have a pressure washer, and am thinking I can store it in a container of water all week. then when I hose them off. all the remaining meat should come off pretty easy. But im concerned I might deform the horn bones from it soaking so long. does anyone have any experience with this?

2. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know a taxidermist that soaks his heads in a huge tub of water for a while before he boils them. Ive personally never seen any of his work look bad. He has done a few heads for me both deer and aoudad and there is no deformities with any of them. You'll be fine.

3. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have any experience with horned animals but when I've done deer antlers just kept the antler bases out of the water. I believe in horned animals taxidermist remove the inside portion on a Euro mount

4. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry Bryan Im thinking I misunderstood you question. are you referring to horns as in sheep or goat or as in deer antlers.

5. zombie44

zombie44 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've macerated deer before and in order to protect the antlers, I wrap saran wrap around them and usually tape up the bases real good. That will keep the water out. I wrap the bases with electrical tape or any kind of vinyl tape would work.

I would think if its a sheep or similar that would work well and ensure they don't just soak in that water.

6. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No need to store in water, just leave em outside and let the bugs do their job

7. lgreenslade3

lgreenslade3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy has tied his up and put it in the creek by his house. Accidentally left it there for an entire year and it looks normal

8. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You could give a taxidermist a call.

9. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are we talking a horns or antlers?

Antlers, no harm to sit in water. Horns...well all the horned animals my dad euro mounted for customers, the horns do come off. Being horns aren't made of bone like antlers are, I honestly am not sure if they soften over time of sitting in water or not.

When doing an euro mount by beatle cleaning, you have to pop the horns off first or you run the risk of the beatles feeding on them too.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016