Equiptment?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by kentuckybuck, Mar 30, 2018.

1. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have about 4 different plots I am wanting to do this August. 2 are microplots, like 1/4 acre and 2 are around 2 acres. So nothing major. I have a Polaris Ranger 800. I have went round and round about what equipment to get. Land is pasture land, so nothing done to it. I've considered small tractor or maybe just use Polaris. Then the implements. Disc? Plow? Rototiller? Anything else or something different? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually do my own plots and have found anything 1/2 or smaller is manageable with my Grizzly 550.

I use this :Field Tuff ATV Cultivator - Garden (ATV CULTIVATOR)$479.99Cabela'sFree shippingFor most items:90-day return policy

And once the ground is broken up I use this :Bad Dawg Accessories GroundHog Max ATV/UTV Disc Plow by Bad Dawg Accessories$349.99Cabela'sFor most items:90-day return policy

Ultimately the ground itself is going to be whats makes it a go or now go. The first time I get it broken up is always the hardest after that it gets easy year after year.

I would recommend spraying the area with glyphosate and let that work for a couple of weeks. if you can mow it and rake the debris away that is awesome too but if not no worries. My biggest challenge was not the dirt but vines from poison oak, sumac and other vines stuff. The vines would clog up the cultivator and keep it from getting into the dirt. Tried cutting it up with the disk but it wasn't heavy enough.

A tractor won't have that problem due to its weight. Also if you are comfortable with it you can fo a controlled burn and that will limit the issue with the old vegetation.

I tried a pull behind root tiller and it kept throwing the belt so I gave up on it. Good luck!!

3. kentuckybuck

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Copperhead, will check into these! Appreciate the feedback.

Also, going to look into pull behind brush mower. Anyone had any experience with a Swisher or DR. Or another brand?

4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My personal equipment includes a tractor (45 hp), 6' brush hog, 6' disc, 6' rototiller, 400 lb broadcast spreader, 25 gallon sprayer with 10' boom and a two row JD 7000 2 row planter. Granted that I use some of this equipment for things besides food plots but 2+ acres is a lot for an ATV.

I adapted the sprayer to work on my tractor by mounting it to a carry-all on the 3 point. Makes it very easy to adjust the height and spray pattern of the sprayer vs my side by side ATV. The sprayer gets a ton of use around my property and my business as well as the food plots.

5. kentuckybuck

Dislikes Received:
    Ha, so what you're saying is I need to look into a tractor.

So what do I need to look for in a tractor for my needs?
    4wd?
    hp?
    year model matter? company preference?
    Anything else?

If I go tractor route, I will have to get a trailer, implements, and hope my 1500 sierra can pull it, ha. BUT I GOT TO GET THE BUCKS IN! HA.

6. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wheel Horse 314-8 or 416-8, a Brinley plow, a wheel horse rear mount tiller, and some beer.

7. AL fulldraw

AL fulldraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have a ranger that we use to spray our plots, throw seed and fertilizer and we use a 5' drag to cover seed. We use a 30hp Kabota tractor to break up plots and bush hog. If i was going to have to buy all the implements for my ranger to plant food plots I would take that money and spend it on a good use tractor with implement. That's just my 2cents. We have all size plots from 1/8 to 3 acre plot and plant about 15 of them. I would choose a tractor every time on every plot.

8. dumbledore5241

dumbledore5241 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We want to buy a CAT tractor, can you say something about it?