Entry model compound bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by remist17, Sep 21, 2016.

1. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, so heres the story. I have a bow from 1997 CCS Talon. I used to target shoot alot, three years ago I hurt my shoulder and had a issue pulling the bow back. Last year I was able to secure a property to hunt but archery only. So I picked up a parker bushwaker crossbow. I did not get a deer last year as I started late and was a little conservative in shooting. This year I had practiced all year and was grouping nice at 30 yards. Then the limb broke. The limb delaminated. So off to the repair shop and the lifetime warranty of parker.... Two weeks later the replacement limb are not in yet and my season has started. So I purchased a crossbow last year so my funds are not all back. So I am looking for a entry level bow to get me through two years until I can save to get a better one. The new bows have 80% let off so I think my shoulder can handle that. My options I have found and need some help with respect to a entry level under $400.

PSE stinger ready to hunt- $399
    Diamond Infinity ready to hunt- $299
    Bear Cruzer ready to hunt - $400
    Bear Wild ready to hunt - $400

Please let me know what you think or another suggestion, again I am budget locked.

2. Parkerg31

Parkerg31 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know about any of those bows but the craze by mission bows (Matthews) was my first bow and it was fantastic. I think the bow MSRP is 350$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I will look at that.

4. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The Mission Craze and Riot are probably the best entry level bows out there. Try to stay away from all-in-one packages as well. I know it is tempting because its all already put together but usually the accessories are plastic crap that will break or bend and just be a general pain.

5. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. I am trying to find a local bow shop that carries.

I know Im being cheap and cheap gets you in trouble. But what are your thoughts on Diamond bow brand. I know they are made similar to bowtech but not much more. I can get the one bow for $300 on sale until saturday.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have a Field and Stream store close? I know they carry Mission, at least the one in Cranberry PA does. Also I don't know how far you are from the Lancaster Archery Supply store but I know they have a lot of bows and a very helpful staff.

7. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Lancaster archery is about 1.5 hour trip. Field and stream is about 1 hour drive. The issue I am having is the price. I paid already for a cross bow last year and the funds are not there for a 400 $ + bow.
    I will look to see what field and stream has.

8. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    look into the Mission bows... very nice for the $$

9. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Put the crossbow on craigslist and put that money to something that will last a little while.

10. Evilstuff

Evilstuff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I still currently use my Mission Riot. Love it to death. nice draw, and was easy on the budget.

11. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mission by Mathews is a popular entry level bow. And also don't be afraid to check out Craigslist. I have seen guys sell high end bows for cheap so you might be able to find a good 2 yr old high end bow for the same price as a new lower end bow.

12. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing wrong with being cheap. Everyone has to start somewhere. I think the bow itself is ok. Nothing to write home about but if you take care of it its fine. I wouldn't take the accessories that are on it in the woods with me though. Probably fine for messing around the yard and the range. Might would get you through a season if your careful.

13. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    Just went back and reread your post. Check out craigslist. You seem to kind of know what your talking about so if your comfortable getting a used bow that would be the way to go. Guys buy and sell high end bows that are just a couple-4 or 5 years old all the time for good deals. Hell if I had a little extra money at the moment I would sell you mine and go get a new one. The wife would kill me though. Check out Facebook as well as I know I have some local groups that the people in the group sell archery stuff quite often. Also, the classifieds here are a good source of nice equipment. Going used would make your dollar go a lot further.

14. Gator Dale

Gator Dale Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hoyt ignite might b a good option also to look at

15. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first modern bow (replaced a 1970s compound) was a Diamond Rock package from bass pro about ten years ago. nice bow. the accessories were not top of the line but fully functional. took game with it. based on that I wouldn't hesitate to go with Diamond again. particularly if on a budget.

16. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One trait of many super adjustable bows like the bear Cruzer and the Hoyt Ignite is that they have a soft back wall.

As others have suggested, a used high end might be something worth looking into if you don't expect your draw weight to change much in the future.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  17. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought "diamond" bows for both my kids. (I'm a bowtech guy). They have been great bows & are super adjustable & relatively cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. jvella

jvella Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That PSE stinger is a very good entry level bow

19. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks all for your help. I have called every bow shop within a 45 min drive of my house to see what used bows they had and what new bows they had. I told them I had a budget. Some guys actually laughed at me and hung up the phone! So I crossed those guys off my list of future business. All shops were out of used bows in my length and poundage, one reason is its a week before opening day. I called box stores and they have several still on the racks, Bear, PSE and Diamond. All around what I want to pay. All the bows are packages with the typical low end equipment. I am not a fan of the rests but the sights are ok for me. All the bows are around 315 to 320 fps. So Im going to go look on Saturday and see what I can find. Im going to get the bow, sell the crossbow and save up for a new better bow in two years. The one I can get this weekend, my daughter can use to start out. Not sure if my ego just got slapped.... im going to use a bow that my daughter can use

20. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you plan on upgrading in two years then buying a bow that you can pass down to one of your kids is an excellent plan. Don't let your ego get dinged over it. Most of those bows can be turned down to "toy" status with barely enough power to stick a suction cup arrow to a mirror. All that really matters is where you have it set for your own use. At the top end, they have the power to take dow the largest game animals in north America.

I would do the same thing if I were in your shoes. Just make sure that her eye dominance matches yours before you have her try to shoot it.