Entrepreneurs - How many of you own your own business?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Rick James, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious. Jeff's thread on another board really got me thinking. I have done very well for myself in sales (IT industry) for the last 8 years and know if I choose to stay in this line of work I have a bright future, and can probably retire fairly young. On the same hand, I know I will never be truly satisfied until I own and run my own show. Once this wedding is paid for next summer, I really want to make the jump and I'm curious to learn how others have made it happen.

I'm always curious to know and hear more about others business success, I always try to learn and take something away when hearing of other peoples experiences. I know we have a few business owners here and I'm hoping for some good conversation about how you got there.

2. TexasBowHunter

TexasBowHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    RJ, I am in the middle right now, we are just in the beginning stages of starting a company in the hunting ranch/land services business. Currently, I am employed for a company full time and am doing well as far as the financial aspect goes and it also affords me quite a bit of time off to work the land company too. I was approached by the owner of Mossy Oak properties of Texas about starting this company at one of the largest hunting shows in our area. After talking with my, now two partners we figured we had nothing to loose, we will continue to do our normal work until that is not an option anymore. Prior to working for the company I do now, I had a small land clearing business for about5 years that really started suffering with the housing industry slowing as well as high fuel prices, I chose to let her go before it got too bad and to date I believe I made a very wise decision. I truly enjoyed owning my own business and have hopes of doing so again..

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I had always wanted to start my own business, and I'm young so there's still time. However, I'm in a situation not unlike yourself. I have a great stable
    job with great benefits. However, I really would love the freedom of running my own business. I'm not sure I would have the knowledge (business wise) to make that leap effectively, however. I could keep doing what I'm doing, and hopefully retire when I'm 48, or I could venture into somewhere new. Curious Matt...what type of business (or industry) would you consider entering? Some areas are safer than others (in terms of resilience against a rising/falling economy).

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking at a variety of things. Anything I would pursue would have to be based on a recurring revenue stream that is under contract though. Some sort of a pure play Managed Service offering. Most likely it would be IT based, but I'm open to other ideas as well, IT is just what I know and understand best with my background.

A managed hardware as a service offering with managed support all on contract (2 years) would be easy to sell, and after the initial investment in tools........would be VERY easy to manage if rolled out properly.

5. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Deleted!!