elk hunting in colorado

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by buckhunter31, Jul 19, 2011.

1. buckhunter31

buckhunter31 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am planing on going on a elk hunting trip in sept to colorado. We will be hunting around paonia. I have never been out there before but the guy we are going with has been going for years. I am just wondering what to expect. I will be going around sept 10 for one week. Will i be a little early for the rut? How much hunting preasure is around the area? If anybody could give me any info that would be great. Thanks

2. stickflipper

stickflipper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Elk hunt/trail cam pic

I live not to far from where you are going. You should be about right for hitting the rut, not to early and the bulls will still be rounding up cows. Not just protecting there group of ladies. That will give you a better chance of calling in a mature bull. As far as pressure there are not many places in colorado that you can get to in a vehicle that are not hunted hard. Your in an area that has a lot of elk so if you put in the work and get away from people you should get into a few. Either way its hard to beat just spending time in the Colorado high country in september. Good luck! let us know how you do. here is a trail cam pic of a bull from that area to get you ready.(could not figure out how to change time and date) MDGC0011.jpg