Elk Hunt 2016... Now what

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by cml5895, Jul 20, 2015.

1. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its a once in a life time hunt, that's the only way to put it. First off, let me say I'm beyond blessed for the situation I'm in at such a young age. So as a little background, my girlfriend of two years graduated high school this year. When her older brother graduated her father took him on a Colorado elk archery hunt as a graduation present. He presented the option for her that she could do what she wanted. Whether it was a cruise or a beach vacation. She could of done anything, but wouldn't you know, she didn't let me down and decided that an elk hunt was what she wanted to do also. I was amazed, but I can't say I was surprised. She has embraced hunting and the outdoors more than I would of ever expected.
    I was invited to go along as well and after a short couple of days, I decided that I could do it both financially (being in college and all) and academically with missing classes. We booked for September 2nd-10th of 2016. This is the first time I'll be hunting out of New York state. And hunting elk out west has always been a dream for me. I am an avid whitetail hunter and have been lucky enough to take a few nice bucks, but I know western hunting is a whole different animal. We are driving to our camp in South-west Colorado, and I'm half excited just for that trip.
    So what I'm making this post for is any advice, tips, gear, suggestions, places to stop on the way, any thing and everything that might help me out on this trip and make it the best it can be.
    I'll be keeping a kinda of ongoing log on how I'm getting ready for the trip and hopefully it will come full circle when next September rolls around!
    Thanks a lot guys!
    -Collin

2. Eatonantlers

Eatonantlers Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best advise...be a gracious guest.
    Get good footwear and get in shape, you're young so the latter may, or may not, be a big issue but you may get exposed on the mountain if you assume youth will get you by.
    Enjoy!

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Collin if your have a specific questions PM me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. in2blood

in2blood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are you guys going to do a DIY style hunt or are you hiring guides? Congrats on the once in a lifetime trip!

5. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have a guided hunt near Gunnison, CO.

6. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Which GMU?

7. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you work out harder then you have ever worked out before you might make it to day 3 before your exhausted:)

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. in2blood

in2blood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My best advice would be to get on http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas and take a look at the terrain you'll be hunting. You can print maps off that site but since you are going with a guided hunt you probably won't need them. I think the best advice I can give you is to just flat out have fun. Elk hunting, especially the dates that you are going, can be the most addictive type of hunting that I think exists. The Gunnison Basin is full of elk so you should see plenty of animals.

I have never done a road trip from New York back to Colorado so I couldn't give you any advice on site seeing along the way, ha ha ha sorry!

Good luck with your hunt!

9. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    get in shape... gonna be spot and stalk, and elk can cover a lot of ground... gonna need some good boots that are broke in and comfortable before a go (blisters from poor fitting or not broke in boots suck).. good camo (around Gunnison think ya will need the brown.. ask the guide before ya go)... then practice from sitting, kneeling, and half crouched bending around a bush shots... practice alot... then have fun and good luck on the trip :)

10. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The GMU's we should be hunting are 68,681, and 82. Smoke, any suggestions on boots? I have a couple good light weight mid-highs for shed hunting. Would something like that work? I know I'll have to definitely condition as much as I can prior to the trip. I'm doing my best to remind myself that I have over a year to get ready for it(including 1.5 summers, a whole deer season, and school year)! I already am doing all I can with my bow to get prepared haha. Thanks for the tips so far guys, its much appreciated!

Collin

11. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    that side if the state is pretty dry... so they shouldn't have to be water proof... any good high top (snakes) hunting boot will work... just dont go with new... break em in first