Elk & Deer Hunting Near Hayden, CO.

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by schwatk, Dec 26, 2012.

1. schwatk

schwatk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Southern California and have a good friend whose family owns 650 acres just outside of Hayden CO.. The land is approximately 11 miles south of Yampa Valley Airport in Hayden. It must have elk as a guide takes clients out hunting on the land. My friends family has given me the OK to hunt it next elk season. Right now I only bowhunt.

My question to any of you who know the area. Do you think it is worth a shot? Or is this not a good area and I should look to hunt public land somewhere else.

I have never hunted elk before. So any advise or help would be GREATLY appreciated. I know the #1 answer will be to hire a guide. But I cannot afford one. So it's DIY for me!

I'm also big into flyfishing. So any recommendations on that in the area would be appreciated too.

Please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Take care!

Joe

2. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a friend that hunted units 14 and 15 in 2011. (believe that was the units) He told me not many big bulls but a few elk. He said unit 14 was really busy and 15 didn't have has many people. Sorry that is about all I have for ya

3. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say go for it. My only question is how much of the property is wooded? I am guessing a local DNR official could probably provide you some additional info about the local herd.

4. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What he said! I don't see a reason not to. If you have the time and money then you should head out. Shoot I would every year.

5. Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hayden elk hunt

Joe; That area will be unit 13, looks to be a OTC elk tag, so no draw required. OTC over the counter. All deer tags in Colo are draw tags, so you must apply before beginning of April. The area you refer to is private and BLM land in Colo. hayden is in good elk hunting territory. There are millions of acres of public land to hunt in the surrounding areas, Routt NF White River NF and the Flat Tops Wildreness area, as well as N of Steamboat Springs and the Craig area. All good elk huting areas. Colo has 295,000 elk, no other state has that many. Start your research and go hunting and have fun. Colo is a beautiful state. A rifle hunt in 2nd or 3rd rifle season around Craig might be more successful due to the migrating elk herds driven down by the snowfall. By a Colo Atlas and Gazetter and send for a Colo hunting regulation book or go online to read it, as a start for you. The elk tag will be close to $600 for a bull or either sex tag, which is just the beginning of your elk hunting costs ! : ) Go and have fun, but do your homework for success. Talk to the land owners on the numbers of elk on the property. 650 acres is a small area for elk hunting, and with too much pressure you can drive them off the land. HH in Pa

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  6. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't think you can go wrong with private land.
    Go for it and good luck.