Elite Hunter locked up

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ARYAN1, Feb 25, 2011.

1. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went to the indoor range to sight in my 20 yard pin on my brand new Elite Hunter and after just a dozen or so shots my cam stops blew off and the bow locked up at 100 percent letoff, lucky I was at a bow shop and they immediately put it in the bow press to unlock it. I found all the parts for one cam stop but couldn't (with the help of 4 ppl) find the nut for the second one. I called the shop where I bought it (90 miles away) and told them what happened and they are sending me a complete cam stop, so thanks to them. But my problem is with the design of the cam stops, they dont seam like a good design, the bow (70#) isn't that hard to draw, not like I was pryin back a 90# bow or nuthin, but when it hit the stops they blew right off! Anybody ever had this happen? If it happens again its goin away!

2. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never had the draw stops even come loose on an Elite much less come off, and certainly not both at the same time! I have locked them up before though by forgetting to put the stop back in after pressing the bow and then drawing it back into "lock-up". It's pretty unnerving having that thing at full draw wondering when it might fire all on its own.

As with cam screws, make sure you put them back together with blue LockTite to ensure this doesn't happen again.

And as an FYI; the bow functions just fine with only one draw stop. (I actually find mine shoot better this way.) Use the draw board to make sure the cams are timed and sync'd perfectly then use the top cam draw stop to control the draw and let-off, don't use the draw stops as a crutch to time the cams at full draw by forcing them to stop rotating or you'll have differential load on your cables and it'll be out of tune. One draw stop ensures that the load on the cables remains balanced.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  3. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok Rob, So should I have the second draw stop positioned so it doesn't touch but just as a backup to the other one?

4. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    YA, and very scarry to try and remove the arrow with a bow at full draw, lol. and then hope it doesn't dry fire on its own! Im almost gun shy to shoot this bow again ! I dont trust the draw stops :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

5. octhereicome

octhereicome Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    never herd of this
    i would probably be calling the shop u bought it from and having them get it fixed up paid and full

6. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am still trying to grasp what you uys mean by "Lock Up"?

7. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    meaning the cam/draw went past full draw and just stayed there at full draw after I released, did not fire the arrow. I had to carefully take the arrow off the string keeping the bow pointed down range, very scarry not knowing if the bow would fire on its own

8. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly what he said, and then EVERYONE within the approximate exploding distance is puckered up like a you wouldn't believe. Supposedly a "safety mechanism," but I know I'd sure as hell not be happy if I had one do that and I'm not 100% sure how "safe" it is....

9. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    bypass the shop & call the manufactor and raise hell. forget about all of the things that happened and explain to them that this problem could have caused some serious harm to you. I was shooting tracer nocks and one of them broke once i shot and sent my arrow dam near sideways. I called them and raised hell and I wont need to buy nocks for a long time. there is always a chance for mech error but they need to stand behind there product. good luck

10. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I sent Elite an email and explained what happened, personally I dont trust their product now, I kinda want my money back, we'll see what they say.

11. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You should have saved the money a bought a Mathews or even a Hoyt. There both very respectable bows.

12. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Confidence in your equipment is key to success. It's sort of like trust in a relationship. Without it, there really isn't a relationship. Man, I hope this works out for you. Give Elite the chance to make it right...

13. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats my concern right now I dont trust this bow, its going to be in the back of my mind every time I draw it back now, I emailed Elite so Im waitin to hear back from them, but I really dont want to shoot it no more. I gave Elite the phone number of the Bow Rack where this happened incase they want to confirm, there was a game warden there too and he helped look for the parts.

14. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow thats crazy, glad no one was hurt.

15. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They KNOW it happens, actually do it in testing.... There have been a few guys get hurt from these bows doing this, and a few bows HURT as well. One guy I heard about lost his finger because he put it somewhere it shouldn't have been and a cam let got, lopping it right off as it went back into the limb!!!!

What's your DL, I may have a nice SAFE Hoyt to sell you...... :D :lmao:

16. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Elite emailed me back and said they would send me 2 new stops if I decide to keep the bow.

17. MeanV2

MeanV2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 200% Will!!

That fact dictates what I shoot as much as anything. I really need to trust the company that is behind the Bow that I shoot :)

Steve, Everyone says Elite has a great warranty. Hopefully you will find this to be true and won't have to test it too many times.

Dan

18. oilderrick

oilderrick Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Been there

I had a rep at Bass Pro forget to tighten my draw stop. Locked up a GT-500. Scary.

Try not to listen to people that say don't buy this or buy that to avoid the problem. I have had two friends have Hoyts and Mathews blow up on them. 95% of these accidents can be avoided if you check your equipment before firing. Remember, it is mechanical. Anything can happen with moving parts that impact other moving parts.

Don't give a bow manufacturer a bad rap because of something like that. I wouldn't feel confident either and I sold my GT-500 because of that, even though I know that it had nothing to do with the bow or the manufacturer. It had everything to do with a tech that didn't do his job and an archer that didn't obey the golden rule.:rant::whip::wave:

Don't think that a Hoyt or Matthews can't malfunction. You are holding a dangerous piece of equipment in your hand. You should go online and investigate how many Glocks have malfunctioned. How many S&K's have malfunctioned. But you never hear about law enforcement or military discontinuing usage or bad mouthing the company. :bash:

Just my opinion. Hope I don't ruffle too many feathers. By the way, I don't even shoot an Elite anymore. :nana:

19. stuntriders

stuntriders Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, I didn't know something like this could happen. Thanks for sharing, hope it works out well for you.

20. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im not bad mouthing anybody, I just dont want to shoot this bow anymore just because I will never forget it and always think of it when I shoot it, is it going to happen again, its just me. I called the shop where I bought it and asked if I could return it and they said yes, so I did today and shot more bows again, but not Elites or Bowtechs because they have similar draw stops. The 2 bows I narrowed it down to were Mathews Z7 and Hoyt CRX32 and both shot great to me (but Im a rookie) but the Z7 wall felt a little spongie to me I liked the solid wall of the Hoyt better so I chose the Hoyt.