electric fences?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by MD hunter, May 20, 2012.

1. MD hunter

MD hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    anyone use them for food plots? i might try it for corn for late season.

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You need to have it really tall or else run 2 strands parallel with one another to discourage them from jumping it.

3. oldschool61

oldschool61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use electric fence around our garden every year and it works great. We live at the end of a dirt road with no houses and plenty of woods and deer. If deer get to your crop before you put up the electric fence, GOOD LUCK. They will just jump it unless it is really tall.
    I put up our fence before planting. A 6 ft metal T-post is all we use. Three strands of wire, 1) at knee height, 2) at belt height, 3) at top of post. Put some kind of flagging on wire so the deer see it before they run thru it.
    By using only 3 strands, you are incouraging the deer to step thru the fence not jump over it. They will come looking and smelling, thats when it hits them. It has work great in our garden for about 15 years.

4. rybec2

rybec2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yep i have one up around 1 acre of beans. You will need a 2 stage set up or they will jump it.I have three runs of poly wire inside and a run of tape out 3 ft from the main wire runs.and the tape is at 18".The 2 stage deal is hard for them to judge the distance and they wont try to jump it.I have a Parmak 6volt solar and it ROCKS !