Electric bike or trike

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pastorjim08, Nov 27, 2022.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Bobcat side by side that is on life support. As we speak it is in the shop with a cracked head. They are working on it but I've already put a ton of money into it this year. This is its last chance. If it doesn't run right after I get it it back, I'm going to get rid of it. An alternative I'm considering is an electric bike. I know several guys on here use them with pretty good results. And my bil just bought one a few weeks ago but hasn't used it yet. But in my research I ran across electric trikes. I could see several advantages with these over an electric bike. It seems you could haul alot more comfortably with a trike plus it would definitely be more stable. So what say you all, would you consider an electric trike or do you see an electric bike as being better?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Jim. I could see myself getting one of those one day. As for now, this is my goal for next year. This would help me on a few properties. Something like this

upload_2022-11-27_10-31-25.png

cantexian, MUDSHARK and pastorjim08 like this.
  3. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    After purchasing an E-bike and using it this past fall, I'll offer up my feedback. Considering the time we go into the woods, the season, and the time it adds, I would suggest a trike if anything.

The season: Fall to late fall. Wet ground, grass, mud, and wet leaves are a death sentence for any bike in my experience this past fall. Before the leaves fell I could go at running speed down the cart roads. Once the leaves started falling, combined with the heavy dew, it was like riding a bike on ice. I could barely go at walking speed. One morning, I was thrown from the bike 3 times by wet leaves and from being sucked into ruts created by stormwater runoff.

The time of day: Going in while it is still dark adds to the above issues and creates more safety issues

The added time: Seeing as I was hunting on Public land, I'd always bring my gear in with me. This means, attaching your gear securely to the bike. Safely stow your bow on the bike so that if you hit branches or have a slight fall, the bow will be okay. I encourage you to not wear your gear while riding a bike because it throws your natural ability to balance yourself way off due to the higher center of gravity. All of this adds time to your setup. for me, it was an additional 15 minutes roughly, including using a camo net to hide the bike.

Overall. if you will be using it on a place where the trails are decent enough to drive an everyday SUV down, the hills are passable by an everyday SUV, and you are okay with the added time, then get a trike so you won't have to worry about the wet terrain. Also, keep in mind, I think the trikes weigh like 80-90 pounds. If you are transporting it to your hunting grounds every morning to hunt, you'd need a scooter-type trailer hitch attachment or a pick-up truck. all of that adds.....time.

For me, an E-bike was a bust and I will be selling mine. They have their place for sure, just not in the public land woods where I hunt.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Joe, what brand and tire type did you have?

5. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    This is a good question because it's my understanding that if you are going to take them off road, it's important to have the proper tires and also the bike needs some sort of suspension. Like shock absorbers on the handlebars, forks and seat. I heard if they don't have the proper suspension it's easy to get thrown off

6. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jim. You ever think about electric golf cart? If you have a bobcat I assume you have a trailer to pull it with. With agressive tires on the back they go pretty good. Used late season price on them probably about 4k with fresh batteries. I had one for years that I hunted out of and never had it stuck in a place I could get it unstuck from myself.

Before custom work-

1securedownload.jpg

Compelted cart.
    DSC00246.JPG

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    cantexian likes this.
  7. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I had an electric golf cart up until about 2 months ago. But I sold it because I also had the bobcat. I really didn't see the need for both and I knew the bobcat would be able to go where the golf cart couldn't, so I sold it. Now I'm regretting it because the bobcat is really giving me fits. It's currently in the shop, again, and if it doesn't come out right this time, it's gonna be by by to it. I don't know, if I have to sell it, I think I could get enough to then buy ANOTHER golf cart. I'll just have to see what happens when I get it back. Yours is looking sweet!

Bone Head Hunter likes this.
  8. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:

Bruh........

[​IMG]

LOL bust seriously, I have this one in black:

upload_2022-11-28_14-20-2.png

It does have front suspension, but no back suspension. The wet leaves were more the issue then the bouncing around. Those things are literally the same as riding on ice.

tynimiller likes this.
  9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciate the insight and honestly if you were closer I'd haggle a deal with you for it.

@LittleChief I know uses a bike A LOT, you have similar issues with wet conditions when leaves have fallen or is Joe just uncoordinated LOL ?

picman and Swamp Stalker like this.
  10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1, If you are buying an ebike for hunting I would suggest a class three ebike. Something you don't necessarily have to peddle to go. There is a big difference between this, and power assisted pedaling (Class 2), Class 3 bikes can do both. You sometimes have to skirt the rules, some places have restrictions so don't get caught not peddling. lol

2. Tires matter! Big Fat Wide tires.

11. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is a class 3. The throttle is pretty nice at 0345 as opposed to pedaling!

tynimiller and Heckler like this.
  12. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    This is VERY possible....LOL!!

13. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just for disclosure. I don't own one, but I have tried a lot of different ebikes . My son races. Most race events have an ebike category or 1000 dads have them to get around the event, to and from the pits and to pre-ride the trail before the race.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well, there's your problem...that frame isn't straight

15. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Now that right there is funny!!

wl704 and tynimiller like this.
  16. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Spot on accurate.

17. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I suppose I’d have to go with Joe being uncoordinated. :lol:
    (Sorry Joe.)

I’ve never had any problems with wet leaves, water or much of anything being a problem. There was one time in Kentucky this year that I hit an Osage “apple” hidden under leaves that kicked my front tire to the right and I fell to the left.

I used my ebike last January here at Wattensaw WMA on dirt roads that had frozen and then partially thawed, which is about as slick as you can get barring pure ice, and taking my time and focusing on balance I didn’t have any trouble.

That being said, I don’t even try to ride it up steep grades with significant rocks in the road. That’s just asking for trouble. I’m sure I could do it if I were the only thing on the bike, but with a pack, a bow and a stand that’s a recipe for disaster.

My bike is pretty big. It has 26” rims, 4 1/2” wide tires, front and rear suspension and with the seat adjusted all the way down it’s just about right for me at 6’ tall. I do have to lean it a bit to get on it when I have all my gear on.

It is class 3 and has the thumb throttle which I use about 90% of the time.

It is heavy though. It weighs about 70# but using a hitch mounted dirt bike carrier I got at Harbor Freight it’s pretty easy to load and unload.

This is just my opinion Jim, but I don’t think I’d like an “e-trike” simply because it would be a pain to transport. It would be more stable in use, but you might as well have a small four wheeler where transport is concerned.

18. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    But do fat bottomed girls make the ebike world go round?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    Heckler likes this.
  19. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do really enjoy my ebike. Currently at almost 400 miles solely out on public lands scouting or hunting as they are legal. All my terrain is flat so I have never had an issue with power. The bike has allowed me to check cameras and hunt areas frequently and mostly undetected as some areas I can bike almost to my tree. Lots of trails here. Most of my spots are over 2 miles from gates so I don't encounter people or issues often. I will say having the fatter tires I replaced my tubes with thicker motorcycle tubes and so far so good. Also ensure whatever you get has fenders as it gets overlooked often and you will end up a muddy mess.

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.