Elastic Cuffs on Jackets

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I was looking around at bowhunting jackets today, mostly light to mid-weight fleece jackets for layering purposes and couldn't help but notice that 99% of them all have elastic cuffs on the sleeves. Is it just me, or are elastic cuffs a bowhunting jacket the worst idea since the Deer View Mirror? I hate them with a passion. Every time I move the sleeves seem to ride up and either expose my skin or get caught on my release or just kind of annoy me.

Why can't more people make a jacket with straight sleeves that button or snap closed? My Gray Wolf jackets both have this feature and I love it. I can leave the snaps open when I'm putting the jacket on so my undergarments aren't getting caught up in the cuff, and snap them closed if need be when it gets really cold out.

I don't mind a tighter cuff on my base layer, just not on my jacket.

That's all I've got. Carry on!

2. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I tend to carry my coat on my pack or in it and dress once in stand, same thing for getting out of stand. One of my favorite jackets for cold weather has a liner that has elastic and an outer shell with velcro cuffs. It annoys the heck out of me every time I try to take the line off because I have to take my release off, gloves off, etc. The elastic is also a pain when you have underlayers that are turned and need to be straightened out. Elastic is by far a pain! Perhaps Bowhunting.com could work with a few manufacturers to make real world hunting jackets that are practical

3. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The sleeve snap closure is also one of my favorite features on my gray wolf jacket.

4. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    too many layers, elastic sleeves catching (insert pic if kid from a xmas story here)

5. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My jacket has a series of buttons.. and you tighten it up by choosing the correct one.

So I have no idea what you are talking about my friend.

6. Ya Get Em'?

Ya Get Em'? Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know what you mean. I usually finish dressing in my tree, or at the base. I just pull my coat right over my release, which sucks. I end up being all out of whack. Shot a deer this year after just putting my coat on, didn't even have time to get adjusted, didn't feel right, but got the job done. At least they have the "release friendly gloves"!