Educate the youth

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by dbrownpilot, Oct 31, 2016.

1. dbrownpilot

dbrownpilot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am a teacher on days I can't be outside. Today a high school student came into my room, excited to tell me about a deer he killed over the weekend, his first with a bow. As he told me about it, it soon became clear that he narrowly avoided a disaster. He gut shot at 40 yards a doe which was quartering towards him. The arrow also pierced a back leg. He immediately began pursuit, jumping the deer again. An hour and a half later, he located the deer, still alive, and shot it in the head, another bad idea, finally ending it's suffering. The bell rang, so I didn't have a chance to explain a better way to operate, but I will tomorrow. However, whoever took him hunting should have ironed all this out before he stepped out of the truck. I'm a newbie myself, but I wouldn't have tried these things with a shotgun either. So anyway, if you have the chance, please help educate our young people on ethical hunting. And no, I won't tear him down tomorrow, he tracked it down, and got the job done, I'm just going to talk about better policies

2. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good for you! Everyone needs that mentor type input to help us become better hunters and ethical ones at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that we can all help mentor the newbies. You can also spread the word on good ethics by referring newbies to this forum. There are strong ethics here (with all the other useful info) and we have an unspoken commitment to do things right. Lots of people don't have that positive influence.