Educate me on climbers.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swise660, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get the Summit.

I have had Ol Mans and I hate the pins. Such a pain in the dark. I have a couple summits and a Lone Wolf Wide Sit N Climb now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have an older summit python (open front). It's aluminum and light! I'm restoring it right now. Stripped all powder coat, cleaned with degreaser, primed with aluminum primer, got first coat of black truck bed liner on it now and filled hollow tube with expandable foam to dampen any noise. Have to get another can of bed liner and trim the foam. then I will paint some lighter gray and light brown tones to break it up. Turning out nice. I'll post some pics of the project when I'm done.

3. meatseeker

meatseeker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Summit, it's great-- easy to setup and relatively quiet. Don't worry too much about falling while climbing. I have had one of the parts(climbing aid/seat or platform) slip but the other part catches you, so you are safe. Just make sure the claws really dig into the tree while climbing.

4. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would only buy a Summit with the dead metal or. Treewalker, Lone Wolf or XOP period. I personally have an XOP enforcer climber which is essentially a lone wolf sit and climb but for %50 of the price. I like that it is lightweight, quiet and packs up flat. I have mine set up with third hand stabilizer straps and bow holder which are a must. I also have Molle II back pack straps and waist belt attached to carry in.First time I hunted with it this year I had 4 does walk in on me while I was climbing up my tree. With the third hand bowholder you can climb with your bow on the stand which can give you a shot opportunity when climbing. You need to use a harness and linesmans belt of some kind...I'm looking into a Q safe tree strap for my next purchase. I ended up arrowing an8pt that evening first time hunting from the stand. Big advantage of climber is that you can adjust your orientation and height around tree as needed for sun, cover etc. Biggest disadvantage is you have to have smaller diameter straight trees without branches.

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great advise here. I'm a summit man myself.

Whatever climber you buy get the " stabilizer straps" from third hand archery.

Products Detail

They lock down the climber by keeping the top from slipping once your up the tree.
    "Everybody that uses a climber needs to get these" they are so simple and great you'll wonder why they didn't come with your climber.
    Also third hand has a get bow holder for climbers.
    Most of what they sell is for climbers. Good stuff.

I also made a camo wrap I put around the top of my climber and the tree. Great concealment.

Kilboars Hunt Club

6. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Really like the Hawk series climbers. Really comfy for all day sits. The only think I dislike about climbers, is my limitations on which trees I can sit in, typically with very limited cover.
    My go to is a lone wolf hang-on and lone wolf sticks. Easy to carry in and carry out. Takes a while to learn how to setup in one trip, but there's some good videos and tips on youtube for this.
    Good luck!

7. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I can climb most of the time I use a Tree Lounge. With bow package and my stuff it weighs 38 lbs. But it will climb a power pole or a 8 inch aspen but it is limited to 19 inches. It will climb a slightly leaning tree and is not an issue to corkscrew around the tree while going up or down. Would rather sit in it than the couch at home. In 30 years have never had it slip and have taken many a critter from it. In southern Arkansas I would go 30 ft up a southern yellow pine in gun season an could really see some deer from up there.

8. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Umm No, just no on the tree lounge. If it were 1995, and the OP was a man maybe.
    The OP is a woman, she has a hard time hanging a hang on stand. I doubt that she can carry a 38 pound stand on her back.

9. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't limit yourself to straight trees or trees without limbs. Get yourself a lone wolf or XOP and a set of climbing sticks and you'll be able to hunt virtually any tree in your woods.

10. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Once again, I am not looking at or info about a hang out and sticks. My reasons why have previously been posted. Glad I had asked about this as I am definitely more comfortable with the idea of using a climber.

I am also looking to go as light as possible, so definitely looking at the lone wolf combo and the x stand x1.

Any other LIGHT climbers I should be looking at? Again, LIGHT. I want no heavier than the 15 lb Lone Wolf I have been looking at (along with that 11 lb x stand.)

The lone wolf combo looks very simple compared to the x stand, but what do I know.
    Thanks again.

11. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The X one stand mentioned, that weighs 11 pounds is a hand climber, so it requires upper body strength, as well as stomach muscles. a sit and climb version is available and weighs a few pounds more.
    Not sure about the accuracy of that 14 pounds for the Lonewolf hand climb though. Anyone who has one want to chime in?

12. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you given a ground blind any consideration? I don't know if the ground you hunt is compatible with a blind, but something to ponder.

13. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^Awesome advice.
    My favorite place to hunt when my back won't let me climb is in a natural blind such as a fallen tree or other heavy cover. With a bit of customization and brushing in well before the season, it can be very cozy! A tactic my grandfather taught me is to dig a big hole a few feet deep, so when sitting on a folding chair in there, only your head and shoulders stick above ground. Then surround it with brush, except for for your shooting lanes.
    Make sure when setting up both, that you have enough room to draw a bow in all directions.
    Ground spots have to be in an area where winds don't tend to swirl, or where you can take advantage of thermal air currents, but they can be very effective when done correctly.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  14. englum_06

Dislikes Received:

15. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I found going this route to be best. Unless the woods are nothing but telephone poles, climbers are a waste of valuable hunting time in my experience. A top of the line, lightweight hang on with sticks is about the same price as a good climber. Just my opinion though, I swore off climbers years ago and never looked back.

16. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much just setting it up. It's not too bad. Just take your time and it works out pretty good. I love it. I really wanted a summit, but the lightest climber they have is 15 (?) pounds, I think. I really enjoy this stand because it is only 11 pounds. I don't feel like (because it is so light) the stand is not safe at all. I feel very comfortable in it.

17. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    Completely agree. Once you go with the right stand and sticks your weight is usually pretty close if not less than a lot of your top of the line climbers.