Easton FMJ

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Lilbowhunter, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Lilbowhunter

Lilbowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking about getting the Easton fmjs with a 500 spine i only pull 45lbs and i was wondering if these arrows are going to be to heavy.

2. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    FMJ's are great arrows but imo, if shooting a light 500 spine, go with the axis and put the brass inserts in them for the added weight/foc. The all carbon arrow will be stiffer and will provide better penetration, especially with the higher foc. In my experience.

I've used the 500 fmj and my son has as well and neither of us had complete passthroughs. My son was using coc magnus stinger buzzcut. Both of us were in the 53# range.

We regularly get passthroughs with axis, ACC pro hunters, hell he was even getting passthroughs with 1716 aluminum from really light setups.

The FMJ's do much better imo with penetration when you get into the 400 and stiffer spines.

3. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine have worked awesome, way better penetration than any other arrow I've used, what you said makes perfect sense tho with the high FOC when shooting low poundage. I am shooting under the recommended spine by a bit. 72# with an arrow length at +/- 27.75 and I'm shooting the 400s when I probably should be shooting the 340s but I get tight groups out to 80 and I like the weight of my arrows just over 420 gr.

4. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The FMJ's are very forgiving to spine and it's not unusual for setups to be able to shoot a slightly weak arrow fine.

Sometimes spine issues don't show up until you try to get bareshafts and or broadheads to group with fieldpoints.

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IMO, FMJs have the most consistent straightness tolerances. I selected 5 different top shelf carbon arrows from different manufacturers and compared them at the bow shop. I tested a dozen from each manufacturer. There were always at least 3 or 4 arrows from each carbon that were out of whack. All FMJs were true. I'd invite you all to do the same tests. Sure did make me wonder why I wasn't shooting them! :bow: Looking at their chart 500s would not be my first choice.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  6. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tfox, do you recommend that I switch to the 340s? Like I said, my 400s fly great when I practice shooting. Including with broadheads that I use to hunt with.

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would with those specs.

8. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    But to be honest, you are right at the breakover point so you are probably fine. Like I said, FMJ's are forgiving to spine variance.

9. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    FMJ's are the best arrows i've used to date.

10. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hurt my shoulder this year so I dropped my poundage down to 42# draw weight. I shoot FMJ 500's and have no problem with their 9.1gpi weight. I shoot 125gr tips to increase the FOC.