Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Eastern Sports and Outdoor Expo - The fall out

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by muzzyman88, Jan 19, 2013.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think they are used to seeing us throwing each other under the bus...Ban x kind of gun, doesn't matter I dont use it any way. I have been just as guilty as anyone of this in the past, but not any more. This comes as a shock to them seeing us standing together for a change rather then compromising our rights away. Look at how they thought about it originally, it was ok because it was only a few booths that wouldn't be allowed in the show....only the scary guns no one would mind. Surprise Reed. We do mind and we are not giving our freedom up. Go back to England.

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can Reed take Piers Morgan back with them? I like 2 for 1 deals!

3. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^ I second that! I am sure that our boy Ted would assist!

4. WV Hunter

WV Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    trial153

So the next question....obviously this affects the Harrisburg community and businesses big time. My dad lives up near there, he said they reported on the news today and estimated $80 million loss to the community.

To me.... Reed is DIRECTLY responsible for this. Would there be any possible recourse against Reed to recoup some of these losses? Or is that a pipe dream?

The Mayor is a left wing anti and was probably thrilled with Reed's initial stance, ....probably not so happy right now. LOL

5. illinibowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good point. Do you think if they were to switch their stance that it would be too late because the damage is done or do you think it would bring people back to have a successful show?

6. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is the part of this I absolutely hate. Unfortunately, with "fights" like this, there are going to be casualties. Either the community around the show, losing as much as $80 million, sponsors (both large and small), to the vendors themselves. Lets not forget, there is a huge fishing and boating part of the expo that really had nothing to do with either side of this. Of course even some of those stepped out on their own.

I'd like to see what the total money loss would be for something like this. From transportation to the show (gas, plane tickets, etc), lodging for the show, to the restaurants loss of income, etc. I doubt it would stop at 2-300 million just for those things.

7. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The money will be spent elsewhere. Fear not... the Americans will spend it if they have it. The economy will not suffer a big blow... maybe locally ... but the money will still stay in circulation... no doubt about it. AND???? Where did you come up with a figure of $300 million. I find that a big stretch.

8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They're saying around 80 Million lost in the local economy in Harrisburg. How much do you think the venders are spending to get themselves and all their product to the show from all over the country? Airline tickets.. etc. I'm saying if you count every cent spent for show purposes, outside the show itself, it could get there.

9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would say everyone in Harrisburg that was directly effected needs to write their congress and let them know how they feel. In restrospect this is just a drop in the bucket if the Obama Administration has it their way.

10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In no way would Reed's be liable for the loss. They are not the ones that backed out. The vendors did. I can see both sides to this. If there was a copy-cat mass shooting with an AR style weapon at this show, there are plenty of people that would have been looking to sue the crap out of Reed's. There are always two sides. It was just too soon after the recent shooting out East. One thing is for certain, Reeds can easily suck up the lost revenue from this one show, but if a shooting occured at their event, it could have financially ruined them.

11. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Then why didn't they ban "Modern Sporting Rifles" from the Shot Show? From what I've heard they put that one on too.

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    From what I understand he NSSF owns and calls the shots on the SHOT show, Reed just did the promoting for it. That is also my issue for it, they didn't tell NSSF to go promote it themselves if they were going to have the scarey guns there. They did their promoting and took the money.

I'd love to know why they changed their stance between the two shows. The SHOT show set records for attendance and for all intents and purposes the same probably would have happened at the ESOS. I'm wondering if they weren't approached and offered some sort of tax incentives to ban the scarey guns. It doesn't make sense, location or not, to make such a drastic change in stance so close to the events date. One of the reasonings that they said but never elaborated on was that one company was going to create a big scene that they didn't want. Was it Bushmaster or was it something anti-gun?

It would be like the NFL announcing postponing the Super Bowl and next years season in light of Junior Seau's family suing them over helmets causing suicide.

13. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Leave it to one of our local news stations to report this as a "Gun show" that got cancelled. I'm getting very frustrated (as if I wasnt already) with the horrible and mis informed media.

14. WV Hunter

WV Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately, they probably weren't misinformed. They likely reported it that way on purpose.

15. illinibowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wondered the same thing CLS. What was the company and what were they planning on doing. I am banking that it was an antigun group.