eastern ohio public land?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tc racing, Sep 17, 2016.

1. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    any thoughts on good public locations in eastern ohio to hunt? heading out tomorrow to start scouting some areas. I've never hunted that state before just looking for a starting point. I live only 1.5hrs form the border so figured I would check it out for a few hunts this year. thanks in advance.

2. frosty452

frosty452 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Find the local dnr and ask for maps they have a map that lists all the public land and you can get maps of specific properties too

3. ernmcburn

ernmcburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dont know if its too far but check out the AEP Woodbury lands. I'm real close to it....

4. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    thanks guys. woodbury might be a bit farther then we want to travel. I live an hour east of erie,pa so 2-3hrs will be max. just using ohio for some mini trips or after our season has ended. heading to brush creek area first. looked like some big tracts of timber that we can get in deep.

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt NE OH but private land right outside of Andover very close to Pymatuming in PA. There is some public land in Kinsman (sp) that might not be too far for you.

6. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    thanks. we started at brush creek and only found one really good spot. not much deer sign of any kind at all. not even any droppings. after all day there we stopped by grand river and it looked much better then drove by part of mosquito lake and that also looked good. we didn't have any time to put boots on the ground at the last two but we will be making a trip out to scout those two spots next. coop if you have any info on either of these two areas feel free to pm me . pymatuming is not too far from my house only about an hour and a half. thanks for the info.

7. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I traveled to zanesville a couple of years ago and hunted public land. Virginiashadow gave me a couple of spots be had hunted the year before and I found a couple spots myself. Lots of nice spots just lots of hunters as well.

8. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    tc racing, im heaed to woodberry this fall in Nov. I live 20 - 30 west of you

9. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    that is a bit farther south than I can go for a quick hunt. sounds like everywhere has lots of hunters. all I do know is where we went yesterday was thick and rugged. wouldn't even be enjoyable to hunt there. only way to hunt in there is off the ground overlooking old log roads. if I shot one I would have to bone it out because there is no way to drag it out. heck I had to use some clippers and a machete at times just to walk.

10. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    friend of mine in panama, ny went out to woodbury a couple years ago and said he was overrun by hunters. so hopefully you have a better experience then he did. are you going on private or public? we are trying to find some different chunks of property that might offer some opportunities to hunt. we have been hunting in Kansas but the drive and license increase is getting too expensive. heck you must live in the Pittsfield, lottsville or Columbus area im guessing?

11. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Corry,