Eastern Kentucky?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Josh/OH, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Considering crossing the border for some early season (possibly velvet) action this year. Tags are reasonable and there seems to be a fair amount of public land. Anybody have experience/suggestions on decent ares??

2. jkadkins

jkadkins Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt close to the Grayson Lake WMA on private land. It's all big timber, but the word I hear is that the fish and wildlife department plant food plots across from the Bruin boat dock. But I don't know of an access point to that area without a boat. Or canoe.

I've seen good bucks all over the WMA while fishing. It could pay off for you. Good luck!

3. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A few years back i was hunting elk on some reclaimed coal mines. Tons of deer, lots of movement, if i hadn't been so focused on Elk i might've tagged a nice buck. Heard him grunt on the other side of a saddle, he came over and slowly made his way down the mtn, as I laid there glassing. If you go into those areas, there is tons of action on the old roads since the hills are so steep.

4. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in east Ky a lot. Deer density is much lower because of habitat, but there are some older bucks in the mix because of the rough terrain. Mast trees will be the main food source in the fall.

5. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good stuff, guys. I appreciate it!

jkadkins, I had Grayson on the short list based on its close proximity, and I just happen to have a canoe -which would be even more awesome for the pack-out!! :D