E-Mapping Tools: OnX-Hunt Stand-Base Map

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Cannon06, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My membership for OnX is set for renewal soon, and I have read a lot about the competition being much cheaper: Hunt Stand and Base Map. Does anyone have experience with either of them, compared to OnX? I'm likely going to switch to a cheaper alternative, as long as there are no big drawbacks.

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have used both HS and OnX.
    I can usually get a great discount on OnX via CamoFire.

I find each to have benefits and drawbacks. OnX is not user friendly to me, but I am closer to a coal miner than a coder. But it does have more features.

If I had to use just one, I would probably go with HS.

Cannon06 likes this.
  3. Bucks & Bulls

Bucks & Bulls Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use OnX exclusively and recently downloaded BaseMap because I read great things about the map quality. You can see things so much clearly on BaseMap but they use old maps. I say this because OnX shows our house we built 3 years ago but BaseMap still shows a field. I think I’ll stay with OnX for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Cannon06 likes this.
  4. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve only used basemap. Love it. It’s cheaper than onx. They just added weather and wind direction too. Lastly, I saw a discount for it the other day on Camofire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannon06 likes this.
  5. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    OK, here's an OnX user question-

On the screenshot below, you can see a series of dotted lines which mark a 2 track which meanders from private land through the state game area (shaded brighter green) and then back to private.

Is that 2 track an easement for public access to the state game area? I mean, how do they know it exists on the private land? Why bother marking a trail on private land unless it's open to public access? I mean I know it's there and all, as it is gated at the public/private border on both the east and west sides, but they post it and would consider me a trespasser if I stepped foot on it.

upload_2020-9-17_17-28-52.png

I ask mostly because this here pic below. Yellow is a gate the dude put up last year. Now you can clearly see a gap between the north and south property lines- that to me is an easement b/c that is an old county road that is unfortunately no longer maintained. However it is not part of his private property parcel and it's not technically part of the public. So it's an easement, right? All the other private property lines in the area on OnX actually touch.

Anyway, slightly separate issue- you can see at Mr. Yellow X's gate, the map shows the 2 track meander south then west onto his property before it crosses back on to public. I made note of where the 2 sections of public almost touch corners- they used to actually touch and there is an old County stake sunk there and we used to just step over it and never touch his property or even need the easement. So when this guy bought his property he had it re-surveyed and they re-drew the line just west which restricts access EXCEPT for the old county line road easement -OR- even better if he has to allow access via the 2 track.

upload_2020-9-17_17-53-9.png

Whattya guys think? He threatened to call the DNR on us last year for using the county easement and we told him we had already cleared using the old county road with the DNR years prior, but then he claimed the new survey shows his line runs right up to the public line (over the easement.) Now I am 99% sure that's false as the map shows the gap. But I would really like to know for both him and the private section to the west in the bigger map if they have to allow access via those 2 tracks. Would certainly make dragging deer out a lot easier.

6. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I believe he does not own or control the public access/county road that meanders onto his property. I think his property would essentially be separated by the road, whether it is currently "maintained" or not. Unless the county relinquished ownership of it, in which case I would check with them.

We have a similar issue where I hunt: Long ago when they timber harvested the area, they sold individual parcels at times. So you could have a piece of private surrounded by public, on an island so to speak. Old county roads, mostly un-maintanied, meander through these parcels sometimes. After researching, the use of those roads through private is up to the county.

7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    The county road, which is "County Line Rd." is a straight E/W which literally divides the counties. It actually is overgrown and disused from about the point where the 2 track splits off. Been that way for about 20 years from what my cousin tells me.

That 2 track is maintained or at least used frequently but I can tell you it's not by the property owner maintaining it. Has to be the DNR.