DSLR Filming

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Dunn County, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looking for advice on equipment to purchase to help round out my DSLR Filming setup. I dropped some coin earlier this spring on a Cannon and intend to film video with it this fall (stills also). This includes hunting from a blind but y main use will be from a tree stand. So....What should I add to my camera in order to ensure I have a quality set up? Also, recommendations for best lens for shooting encounters on video? Thanks!

2. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What exactly is your setup now?

3. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Filming strickly SLR can be tough. I have two DSLRs for filming hunts and this is because my 70-200 2.8 IS lens cant focus close enough to do interviews in the tree so I use as Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens for that. Good quality mic and possibly buying an audio mixer/preamp such as the Juiced Link or Beachtek systems can allow you to clean up the audio and run xlr mics and/or wireless mics. With all of that said, there can be a tong of money dumped into this.

Good Tripod, Fluid Head, and Tree Arms are next on the list, because who likes shakey footage. There are so many options out there.

4. Dunn County

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks so much guys. I was hoping I'd hear from Trevor too at some point! I was planning to do interviews on my iPhone. Thoughts? This would allow me to stick with just my slr for filming. I will have a tripod and fluid head (recommendations/preference?) and the muddy outfitter tree arm. All I have now is the 18-55 lens and therefore I am wondering if I buy another what I should get? So am I hearing that with these things and a mic (recommendations?) I should have all the equipment I need to start putting together quality video (Assuming I don't do a mixer right now as a result of funding)?

5. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If your self filming I like the 3rd arm products. This is a 3rd arm pro extreme with a manfrotto 701hd head, def a little much for a DSLR. I would look into the smaller products they sell or check out pawn shops/ used photography stores for good used equipment. It all depends on what kind of distance you want to shoot for lenses and Trevor would know A LOT more about getting one with good glass. Im using Canons standard 55-250mm and it gets out there 50-75 yards good enough. I don't film with my SLR though

[​IMG]

6. Prestonwk

Prestonwk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do all my filming with DSLR's and i love it..it gives you much more of a challenge than with a regular video camera but it can be really difficult at the same time. Trevor pretty much has it covered. Main thing is you want to have good quality footage so a tree arm and a tripod. I have the Outfitter arm from Muddy and i absolutely love it. A Manfrotto 701 is really a great head, i use it for filming our hunts. It does suck having to change lenses for doing interviews in the tree but it take like 30 seconds to change the lens so its not horrible. I am not experienced with it but i know they do make like an 18-200 lens so you could go with something like that to be an all around good lens. Audio is really important. If you use the in camera mic you will hear your self focusing and zooming, where if you use a shotgun mic you wont hear it as much.

7. Dunn County

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are great! For video cameras there are wireless control remotes. Is there anything like this for slr cams? If so is it needed and recommendations on where/what to buy?

8. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    DSLR's shoot amazing video. I shoot quite a bit of video on my Canon 7D. To film using a DSLR, you are going to need batteries, quality lenses, quality audio source, and ND filters.

DSLR's tend to eat batteries in video mode, so take extras or run a battery grip so that you can run two batteries at the same time.

Just like in photo work, lenses are the key. I run a 70-200L f/2.8 and a 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 as my main lenses.

Audio is a challenge. Don't rely on the camera's internal microphone. The quality is lacking. I use the internal mic as a reference only for syncing quality audio from a recorder in post. Most of the time I use an H1 or H4 recorder for audio capture. When that isn't possible, I have a Rode video mic that I use on the camera and record audio straight to the video file.

If you want any amount of shallow DOF during sunny conditions, then you will need a quality set of ND filters. You want to run your shutter speed at about 2X your recording rate. So at 24fps, you will want to set your shutter speed at 50, if you crank it up you will get very footage with jerky movement. If you do that and run ISO at 100 on a sunny day, then your exposure will be blown out even at high f stops. So you will need to thread on ND filters to restrict the sunlight coming into the camera to get that DOF that DSLR's are known for.

You will also want to make color adjustments in camera. You need to crank down the sharpness and contrast in camera. What this does is allows the sensor to pick up the finer details in the dark areas and give your subject a more fluid look while it moves on screen. You can then correct the colors in post production to get the final look that you are after.

The biggest challenge that you will face is focusing. While DSLR's are making progress in models like the T5i, SL1, and the new 70D, auto focus while shooting video is still a challenge. This isn't so much of a big deal when you are simply the video guy and all you have to worry about is shooting video. But if you are videoing your own hunt by yourself or videoing someone who needs lots of coaching (like a kid), then running manual focus along with everything else and still trying to shoot an animal can be incredibly difficult. Even as the video guy only, holding focus on that tiny screen can be very difficult. I have a SmallHD 7" monitor that I use to make the subject easier to see while shooting video and keep everything in focus.

I enjoy shooting video on my DSLR, but honestly, when I go hunting (especially when self filming), I still find myself grabbing one of my actual video cameras more often than not. I still shoot most of my video on my Canon XH-A1, though I did just pick up the new Canon XA20 and am looking forward to seeing how it runs in the field this fall.

Regardless of what you use, you will need quality fluid heads (I use Manfrotto 503 and 701HD), a good tree arm (I use Muddy), tri-pods (Manfrotto), and microphones (Rode and Sennheiser).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  9. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    ^^Bingo He said it all!

10. Dunn County

Dislikes Received:
    So I've been looking into all the great recommendations and listed below is what I need to buy. I'm looking to stretch my budget as far as possible without sacrificing quality.

I like the Monfrotto 701, but even though it's not pricey it's not cheap. Is there another option just as good but at a cheaper cost? (How does the Manfrotto 700RC2 Mini Video Fluid Head compare to this for slr shooting?).

I think I have the mic narrowed down to these (sennheiser mke 400, rode videomic, Azden SGM-1X, audio technica at897) Thoughts? I will get a windsock for whichever I purchase. If they are all very similar I will go with the rode as it is the most cost effective for my canon slr. What all will these mics pick up for sound (I ask because I am not sure of what the limitations are of a directional mic).

Next, what is everyones use of polarizers and diffusers?

Lastly, as I only have a basic 15-85 lens; I need another which will allow me to get some more range. I cannot afford a 70-200L f/2.8. That being said, what can I be looking for in a much cheaper form? At what distance will I be able to shoot my subject at?

Is there anything else I am going to need (I have the camera and camera arm)?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  11. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    You should seriously come down to my photo and video school this weekend. I will cover all of this hands on as well as show you specific lens options. Saturday a rep from the Camera Company Madison will have several camera bodies and lenses there to use and some things will be there to buy!

12. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, lot of good info here. I can't add much but will say that I sometimes use polarizer filters. They help make color pop especially if the is water on leaves or surfaces.
    I mostly use my video cam or GoPro but use my DSLR for some shots. One thing to think about. Dropping cams out of the tree. Been there. I dropped DSLR and it hit the only big rock around. Lense and cam were shot.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should check out 3rd party lens companies like Sigma. Here'a an example of a lens that might work nicely.
    18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC (OS)* HSM | Sigma

14. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also, I use reflectors for getting light in areas like under brim of hat for interviews or some area that needs light. In bright sunlight the shadows are harsh and hats cause problems with seeing the face of hunter. I do not use them while actually hunting though.

As for a diffusor, I use them for wildflowers and such but not hunting videos. Maybe there are some places for them so someone speak up if so.

15. Dunn County

Dislikes Received:
    I looked into this already and actually contacted you about it showing interest! Only problem is I'm the best man in my brothers wedding this weekend so I have somewhere else to be. Maybe I can make it next year!