Drying A Turkey Fan

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Bowhunter_vargas, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Bowhunter_vargas

Bowhunter_vargas Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok Hey guys, I shot a turkey about four weeks ago and I have salted it and switched out the salt and when I press my finger into the salted area its hard but if i press super hard theres a little liquid still there. My question is am I good to hang it up or do I need to keep it salted

2. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can't speak with to much authority, as I have only dried three fans now, but in my experience it should be fine with what you described. I would salt them and some liquid would come out when pressed but the fan itself was stiff. I would say its fine to put up! You could try trimming away some of the yellow stuff(fat) assuming that is what the liquid comes out of. It would probably be alright though if you don't.

3. the wanderer

the wanderer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would say your fine too. I've found it hard to completely get rid of all the fat around those tail feathers. I did use bondo on the back of some fans I did last year and that seals the back of the fan and also gives you something real solid to screw into for however your going to mount it. I've got some leftover wood filler that I'm gonna try this year. It should work the same, but the bondo worked well. Another preservative you can use is borax. I get a big box for $6 at the hardware store. I think I could preserve 20-30 fans or turkey capes with one box.

4. Robson

Robson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015