Drop away rest suggestions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Tyler Trenda, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Tyler Trenda

Tyler Trenda Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I recently purchased a new, on closeout, Mathews Traverse bare bow. I went back into my pro shop where I got it looking to pick up an arrow rest and sight. I was looking to get more inexpensive equipment to get my shooting form back and into a groove before I drop major money on high end equipment for my bow.
    I was looking at a Trophy Ridge Whisker Biscuit as that’s what I’ve shot in the past and never had an issue with, and a Trophy Ridge drop away style rest, I think it was the Sync MD. The guy who helped me told me the Sync MD would not drop away fast enough for my bow and to get the Whisker Biscuit or spend more money on a higher end drop away.
    Is this something you’ve heard before or dealt with firsthand or was he blowing some smoke?

2. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a whisker biscuit once, didn't like it. It was functional, but I was used to drop aways, specifically the QAD rest. It's the only rest I shoot. There are many good ones out there, with the proper setup a drop away of any brand will do fine. I have just always liked the QAD. never had an issue

3. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    HDX has always been my goto

5. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    yep mine too

Fix likes this.
  6. bhod87

bhod87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion, if you're shooting a run-of-the-mill pretty straight 3-fletch and not looking to shoot 100 yard TAC shots, Whisker Biscuits are a good rest. I got away from one because I wanted to mess around with 4-fletch and heavy helical... just a phase I went through. :confused:

In the drop away world I can vouch for the Vapor Trail Gen7(x) as well as the QADs. If I had my choice between the two simply based on technology I'd choose the Vapor Trail (limb driven vs cable driven). I put an HDX on the new bow simply because I wanted to take advantage of the dovetail mount.

7. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a bow this year that had an HHA Virtus on it. I was going to switch in out for an QAD Hdx but ended up liking the Virtus and kept it on there.

8. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    the QAD HDX has been the best of the QAD I have used. I have had the limb driven ones, they work but I just didn't like it attached to my limb. I had code red ripcord that was great also. I think most are pretty darn good. I would look at several and research them. I know a lot of folks use QAD, and they are made here in VA so i support them

9. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    QAD HDX on the Elite Ritual 33, and a Rip Cord Max Micro on Bowtech ... both have been flawless, even in extreme cold ...

10. Travis Choate

Travis Choate Newb

Dislikes Received:
    QAD drop away rest very good dependable and reasonable priced

11. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree a bit on the "higher end" drop away. The base models tend to have no anti bounce back and can be a real pain when they slap the shelf and bounce back up to hit your arrow/fletchings.

I can't say which exact model of QAD I have but it was one or two up from the base model. When it comes down it has a very spongy feeling about a 1/4" from being all the way down. This causes it to slow just before it contacts the mole skin I have on the shelf. This eliminates both bounce back and the noise of it slapping the shelf. After a shot mine is usually sitting just above the shelf, I'm not sure if it hits the mole skin and recoils to slightly above it or if it just flat stops before it hits, but I do know I get no fletching contact and no extra noise from it smacking the shelf.

I just watched a slow motion video a guy posted in an archery group I follow, I believe he had bought the QAD "Hunter" model which is a base model. During the shot his rest was smacking into the shelf and then bouncing back up and contacting his arrow. He stated he had played with the timing some and tried adding something to the shelf to stop it from bouncing but nothing worked. He is basically stuck with having to replace it now. If you go with a drop away choose one that has some anti bounce back built into it.

I also highly recommend one with full containment, and one that either locks into the up position or some sort of arrow holding device placed on the shelf. Maybe not a big deal if you only hunt ambush style.

12. bogob

bogob Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a QAD on my bow, no problems with it.

13. Gabriel Denzine

Gabriel Denzine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    QAD, no other option is going to please you like them. If you want a Limb Driven, Vapor Trail my friend.

14. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    QAD HDX, AAE Pro Drop and Prophecy, HHA Virtus…..if you want limb driven the Hamske or vapor trail

15. goldtipxt

goldtipxt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  16. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Build those fifty bud lol

trial153 likes this.