Driving Quad to Stand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tdk5525, Oct 11, 2020.

1. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up walking to all of my treestand and mostly hunted bigger mature woods near a food source. Usually I would hunt travel corridors. I feel like I could hike in a not bump many deer.

There is a farm I hunt with a ton of doe. Nearly all my stands are only accessible by walking through crop fields. I am considering bringing my quad over there so I can drive through the fields. I've heard deer are less spooked by quads than by me walking.

What are your thoughts and experiences? How far from my stand should I park my quad? I have a camo cover for it and could hide it in a treeline easily.

Thank you for your input.

OhioHunter72 likes this.
  2. Hoytvectrix

Hoytvectrix Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We prefer to have someone drop us off using the quad if at all possible. If not, then driving the quad and parking it within 100 yards or so from the stand in an area where you don't expect deer to be traveling, and certainly not within view of deer by your stand. I think the least desirable option is to walk into the stand, especially if it is within view of an ag field where deer might be when walking in or out.

OhioHunter72 and tdk5525 like this.
  3. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wear all scent lok clothes - do I ride with it on, or dress where I park the quad?

4. Hoytvectrix

Hoytvectrix Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would just wear it when riding in. The exception might be a jacket in cold weather. Want to make sure you don't work up a sweat getting up into the tree.

tdk5525 likes this.
  5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Quads are loud. I think if quads are a normal thing on a property and the deer are conditioned to feel safe in their presence then it’s less harmful. Golf carts, bad boys, or even a truck (if possible) would be best if the deer aren’t used to quads. IMO. And this is coming from someone who drives a quad halfway to his deer stand. Only for gun season though :tu: