Draw length

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jaberry, May 14, 2017.

1. Jaberry

Jaberry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alright so i did the wing span method and had someone mark the tips of my fingers on a wall. Measured out at 69.5 inches. Took and divided that by 2.5 and it came out as 27.8 inches. I got a 27 inch cam on my z7 and with the d loop im so close to the 27.8 its not funny. Thing is the draw feels too short for me. Is it possible cause i had never had a bow my proper draw length so im not use to it or did i screw something up? The string sits at the edge (tip) of my nose. No kisser button just a peep sight. I do have a very slight bend in my bow holding arm. Just want to see what everyone has to say on this subject. Was gonna go throw my 28 inch cam back on. Felt better to me but is a bit (supposedly) long.. thanks

Sent from my SM-N920P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. b_fitnik

b_fitnik Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would suggest to go with whatever you shoot best. A 1" difference in cams is a good bit. What about trying the 27.5" cam?Seems like that may be a happy medium.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  3. Jaberry

Jaberry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The only reason i went from the 28 to 27inch cam was i thought i had the wrong one on and did the wing span method. Trying to improve, i guess.

4. b_fitnik

b_fitnik Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would just go and shoot it. If you notice your groups are getting better, stick with the shorter cam. If they get worse, go back to the 28" or try and acquire some 27.5". I know I have good days and bad days so if it were me, I may leave them on for a couple days for testing. I would just say to go with what works for you.

5. Jaberry

Jaberry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its been on for a month. I just cant get use to it so ill probably go back to the 28 cam til i can aquire a 27.5. It just feels short to me like when im shooting my sons 25.5 inch draw bowtech. I did notice just now from video that im not in a natural relaxed stance either. My head is more forward then normal. Thanks everyone..

b_fitnik likes this.
  6. Jaberry

Jaberry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Seen this article and makes sence to me....
    Does a string loop add draw length? It seems to be common knowledge among archery enthusiasts that a string loop equals an extra 1/2" of draw length. To be honest, it would be easier to just agree and movbe on, but that's not technically correct. Forgive us for popping the industry bubble here, but here's the deal ... the AMO/ATA specs for measuring draw length reference the actual bowstring at its nocking point - not necessarily the point of attachment from which it is drawn. If you draw a compound bow back to full draw, the official draw length is found by measuring the distance from the nocking point on the string, in a line perpendicular to the center line of the bow, to an imaginary point above the pivot point of the grip, plus 1.75 inches.

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Before you go and spend the money on more cams, go to a good pro shop and spend the money to have them work with you. I am shooting a 1" longer draw length now after going to a good shop and working with the instructor there (even though I had been set up by another close to home shop). I had shot "my draw length" for many years and was so comfortable, till he watched me shoot and thought that I was way to cramped in my draw and changed my draw length. Took me several months to get comfortable but now, he was definitely correct and I've been shooting this length comfortably for the last several years.

Jaberry likes this.
  8. Anthony2991

Anthony2991 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I upped my draw from 26" to 27.5", my wing span divided by 2.5 is 26.5. And I will say that extra 1 1/2" of draw feels great! The string is up against my nose when at a square frame vs when before I would have to lean my face into my string. But I'm going to have to go with Elkguide and ask someone who has made a career of knowing this kind of stuff.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Jaberry likes this.
  9. Jaberry

Jaberry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went back to my 28inch cam and ill tell ya what it feels good. I dont feel like bunched up. I feel more like i use to and relaxed. I do have to change my peep position to accommodate the change but it feels good. Thanks everyone. I just analized on the subject and the numbers and thought it was the way it is suppose to be cause the numbers said one thing compared to what felt good.

10. 1bluestreaker

1bluestreaker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you're shooting with a wrist strap and index finger trigger release these pics should help with your draw length and d-loop length and your draw length does not include the d-loop. Back of arrow tube (not the nock) below your eye and set the d-loop length to get the knuckle in the pocket behind your ear lobe. This will line everything up and put the forearm and elbow straight behind the arrow, not pointed left or right or to the sky. Not everyone will be able to touch the string with their nose, all depends on the string angle... And how big the nose is lol.[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Anthony2991

Anthony2991 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's interesting bluestreaker my ata is short and my nose is big :lol:

12. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The wingspan method is just a "get you close method". Form at full draw is how to dial it in I believe. Sounds like that's what you've achieved.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Jaberry and killer chill-r like this.
  13. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wingspan method put me at 28.5". But I'm more comfortable shooting 30".

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums