Double Pins (or Dots)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by blueicefire, Jan 24, 2016.

1. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have an Apex-Gear Covert Pro dot and when fully drawn and getting ready to shoot I see what looks like would be two dots, but with a line between them. It's small a small distance and when putting the target in the middle for the most part I hit where I want. Though Ideally this is not the way I would like and want to see just the dot.

I have moved the site all around and nothing changes it, so that makes me think it's my eyes. I shoot both eyes open, but it doesn't appear to matter as when I close my left eye the issue is still there.

Any thoughts?

2. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ease up on the booze:)

3. Il_public_land_hunter

Il_public_land_hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have a 3 point peep sight? I had one and this happened to me all the time because the string is so close to your eye it appears there is 2 dots.

4. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Focus on the pin, not the target. That's how I shoot.
    It sounds odd, but the pin is to blurry if I don't, and it will cause inconsistent shots.

5. blueicefire

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using the StringSplitter for a peep. Makes the hole you look through huge. I'll try focusing on the pin tonight and see if that changes anything.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First rule out if your eyes. use the point of pen and place it at arms length similar to a sight pin, focus it like you were on a target. If its happening with the pen point your the issue. If it inst then most likely your getting starburst from your sight fiber collecting too much light. I would guess thats the your issue.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  7. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    Why the heck are you using a string splitter for a peep?? Honestly if you can't afford to have a peep installed. Then shoot without a peep, and tie a small piece of dental floss on your string at eye level for a Reference point. But gezz dude. Don't worry about seeing double tell you get yourself a peep.

8. blueicefire

Dislikes Received:
    Money has nothing to do with having the string splitter for a peep. I have gone through about 10 peeps and with all of them not really seeing that great through them. I have according the to eye dr 20/20 vision so my eye sight is good.

What wrong with a sting splitter for the peep? I'm curious now since you are mentioning it. The amount that you can see through that thing is amazing. Also, it's not a home made job you do know that right?

String Splitters - best peep sights for hunting & competition - they maximize all available light

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  9. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    Hahaha. Oh man sorry. This was what I was thinking
    Bohning Archery String Separator

Honestly. If the peep messes with you. Try not using a peep like how it is done in oly recurve shooting. It is effective. You can also tie a piece of white serving string or dental floss as a Reference to make sure you eye hight is good. If the string splitter works it's all good, but it just seems like there might be to much room for error. If you line your string right to the side of your sight housing, and your reference string lined up on top. Might give you more consistent shots.
    Did focusing on the pin help?

10. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now I really want to see how one would use a string separator as a peep! Lol

I'm guessing it's your eyes playing tricks on you. If you hold the sight on target prior to drawing the bow are you getting the same distorted image or a single dot?

11. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:

12. blueicefire

Dislikes Received:
    Naa.. Focusing on the site was worse, couldn't see the target was way to blurry. Yea, I never thought about it when posting that they make string splitters to put the peeps in. I do pretty much all my own stuff and don't use a string splitter to put the peep in or anything.

I think at this point, I'm stuck seeing double like that. Put a regular peep in, I see double, take it out I see double, close an eye and see double. Use my glasses for work, I see double (this is actually the worse).

I mean I shoot 2.5 - 3 inch groups at 30 yards like this, it's just remembering to put the target pretty much in middle of the pins. Was thinking if I could just see 1 pin I would be able to shoot better. Guess I'm stuck like this. Thanks for the info guys, perhaps I'll figure it out some day.

13. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    Well it is still good groupings. sorry my tip didnt help. im sure you will figure it out eventually.
    Do you have astigmatism? my wife does and has a similar issue, but not as bad. she just mentioned it right now.