Double dose of does!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Greg / MO, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You gotta love it when the landowner calls you around 10 a.m. letting you know he's going to be shelling corn on a different farm than you've ever hunted before... It's sort of like a two-for-one deal; not only could I expect great hunting over the freshly picked corn, but I got to learn about a new piece of property for future use. Speaking of two for one...

I sat up about 3 p.m. at the corner of the standing corn where one long fencerow ran east and west all the way to a very large block of timber about 600 yards away. Another fencerow came in 20 yards to my right (east of me, coming in from the north), so I was just west of the intersection of the two fencerows that in effect made a very large "T", with the large timber to my west. I finished pulling my bow up just as I heard the combine coming around for the first pass.

Around 5:30, I watched two does lead a couple fawns out of the timber at what seemed 1/4 of a mile away and make their way to the opposite corner of the corn field the landowner was harvesting. Before they disappeared though, they gave some long stares back at the direction where my fencerow dumped into the woods, which I couldn't see because of both a rise in the terrain and the trees in the fencerow blocking my view behind me to my left.

Around 6 or so, I spotted two more does in the extreme distance emerge from the timber, and both stared for a long time at the intersection of the fencerow and woods; I knew there had to be something down that way commanding their attention, and I was hoping it was deer moving my way. As I continued staring at the doe through my binos, I heard an almost-inaudible twig-snap below me to my left about 6 yards away. Without lowering the Nikons, I cast my eyes down to see a large doe walking the edge of the fencerow headed to the corn on my right.

I remained motionless until she turned to lick her back, giving me the opportunity to lift my bow off its hook. I came to full draw as she started walking again, but she turned just as I was ready to voice-bleat her to a stop and started walking dead away from me in the standing beans. I let her walk 10 feet or so to see if she would begin angling toward the corn now on her right, but it appeared she was going to keep going straight. I bleated at her hoping to cause her to turn to investigate the noise, but all she did was turn her head. After a few seconds, she continued walking straight away again, so I bleated once again -- this time much louder. It worked, as she turned JUST enough this time as she stopped, and I buried my pin amidst the last few ribs on her right side and watched her mule-kick as it blew out between her front shoulder and neck on the left side. She made a mad dash for all of 60 yards before tipping over, leaving my nock glowing 18 yards in front of my stand among the beans she had just stood in.

I raised my binos to look at the doe against the timber I'd been watching, and she was still staring at the fencerow far off to my left; she had been oblivious to what had just transpired due to that rise in the terrain I'd mentioned. Thinking something else may be on its way, I slowly reached to knock another arrow...

Glancing behind me on the opposite side of the fencerow, I spotted another doe quarting in towards my position 70 yards away; I sent Matt / PA a hurried text message letting him know I was just about to kill another one as a follow-up to the BDD: Big Doe Down message he'd received only minutes earlier. I only had a couple holes to shoot through back behind me, and though I would have preferred to have let her walk another 10 yards to get fully broadside, was forced to bleat her to a stop while she was in my lane with her slightly quartering towards me; again, I watched the red nock trace its way on an ever-so-slight arc until it intersected the doe's lower front quarter and kicked out through the other side. She bolted back down the fencerow behind me along with several other deer I hadn't yet seen.

I headed into the thick beans to prop the lighted nock on top of the firs

2. MOmighty

MOmighty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nicely done Greg! Sounds like an exciting evening! Congrats on two nice does!

3. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the 2 does!!

Tim

4. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good shot placement on the quartering to, definitely not an easy shot. Awesome job!

5. bowman5

bowman5 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sandwich Illinois, 60 miles due west of Chicago
    Nice shootin Greg! I dream of mornings like that. I could have done the same thing last year, but I only saw bucks and they were little guys. Still, that was the only chance I've ever gotten to do that in 14 years of bowhunting. Glad you made the shots.

6. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go Greg, a true daily double :cool:

7. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job you old 2 timer you!!:d

8. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just what I needed after spending 4 hours on the lawn mower.... Congrats again Greg :cool:

9. Jim1966

Jim1966 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe Greg.

10. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    found the story. nice shooting greg.

11. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    greg which lighted nocks are you using?

12. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm making them myself... cost me $3 apiece and I'm plenty happy with them. Go to youtube.com and type in "lighted nock" in the search engine and it pulls up an awesome instructional video. It takes me about five minutes to make one... they're so cheap and easy to make, I've got one on every arrow in my quiver except the one that's tipped with a clear nock because it's got a field point on it that I use to take a practice shot before getting down after morning sits.

Thanks, guys; appreciate the congrats!

13. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You must make them more durable than me. I made some and they fell apart after about a dozen shots..

Congrats again on the doe double:tu:. It feels awesome, I know:d

14. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Greg! Got your text while I was in the car headed to my camp on Friday. Looks like the freezer is full again!!

15. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go Greg!! Big thumbs up :tu: ....did the freezer door even shut?

16. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Great job Greg, man I'm so jealous of all you guys... I just want to be in the woods :(

17. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go Greg! All I am seeing is small bucks and no doe's lately.

T