Don't put out stinky trail cams.

Discussion in 'Manufacturers, Press, and Pro-Staff' started by DrSnake, Jan 15, 2017.

1. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I could hunt tame deer! If a buck so much as detects me once, I often don't see him again. No one goes near my area except hunting. They learn quick not to trust any odors. I would guess for most people, the deer react like mine.

2. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One or the major problems with scent in game cameras is that they are made overseas where they use fish oil as lubricant in the molds. The fish oil gets embedded in the plastic and creates a scent.

That's the reason why bears love game cameras and tear them apart when they find them.

Now you know.

Shocker99 likes this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tame deer, you go ahead and tell yourself that. Deer may act calm and tolerate human presence but if you think for a second that any wild deer ignores any human sign in their close proximity you would be wrong.

4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Im not going to argue that my deer are as wily as big northern woods bucks or western deer that rarely see humans.

But tame? No. These arnt suburb deer whatsoever. Only 2000 people live in my township...its average American heartland.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Its not as simple as throwing up a feeder and getting mature bucks automatically. Ill have corn that rots before getting eaten if its not in the right area.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had not heard that, but it would make sense. They do things different there. I haven't had a bear go at a cam yet, knock on wood. But I do descent them so that may be why.

7. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I find this to be a fun topic. I check usually check my cameras every other week during the summer and I am dripping wet from sweat. No doubt in my mind I am leaving a ton of scent in the woods but I really don't care. I want all the deer to smell me and get use to that smell because in the fall when I am careful with my scent they will think I was there 2 hours earlier and not sitting in the tree above them.

To say you go weeks with less pictures after each camera check is crazy to me. What I have learned over the last couple of years on high pressure public ground is they are JUST deer. They are not people. They don't have a higher sense of reasoning. They interact with their environment which shapes them with positive and negative experiences. When you start looking at them like that and hunting them like that it will increase your success rate big time. 95% of hunters over think things due to what the industry tells them they need to do.

8. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

This is spot on with my experience too.

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll put out stinky cams in spring and by the time it really matters they are not stinky anymore.