Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Dogs chasing deer

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jag-mag, Jun 29, 2009.

1. jag-mag

jag-mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Two seasons ago I was hunting one of my good spots that I have not hunted in awhile,it was getting close to dark and I haven't seen anything yet which I thought was odd because this stand always has at least a doe coming through
    going to the bean or corn fields behind me depending on what time of year it is.all of sudden I here to dogs in the distance barking and yelping, it got closer and closer, a small doe came out of the pines in front of me and she was moving like a bat out of hell tongue hanging out and sides heaving.A few seconds later two dogs came out of the pines
    hot on the little does trail.A week later I'm in the same stand no deer sightings but here come the two deer chasers nose to the ground not barking ,just sniffing around in a hurry I yelled at them and they stopped and looked right
    up at me, I put the pin on the german sheperd looking dog the other one was a poodle mixed breed,but I didn't pull the trigger. After the hunt that evening I stopped at the nearest farmers house and asked him about the dogs, he told me the guy in the house down the road owened them and he always lets them run and he has seen the dogs running deer in his field before.I stopped at the guys house and of course he wasn't home. I left a note letting him know
    that his dogs are running deer and if I see them again they wont be coming home next time. I left my number if he
    wanted to talk about it but he never called.A few weeks later they were in the farmers field running around.I went home and I haven't been back there since and its been a year and a half. I'm going back this year though, my son hunts the front of this 300 acre forest crop managment [I hunt the back] and he hasen't heard or seen the dogs
    for over a year now he told me as he walked away with a grin on his face, I don't know what the grin was about
    and I don't ask.Do you think I should of shot the dogs? Around here they usually get shot on the spot the first time they are caught at it. I also believe its the owners fault not the dogs.

2. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  3. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    :d Exactly

4. jag-mag

jag-mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    got to open the can when your fishing right:d

5. Jim_IV

Jim_IV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a thread like this a on the other site a couple years back. I jokingly suggested they put Kibbles and Bits in their feeder.

Shortly after that comment I was burned at the stake:whip:

:tu:

6. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hell that's all there is down here in the south....hunting deer with hounds is tradition...you wouldn't want to shoot a dog down here. These guys would hang you. I understand you anger, but don't take it out on the dogs.

7. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    when they are crossin private property with the intent of runnin deer off of said property, well, that's owners doing it on purpose... sorry, I got no problem with how ya handled it jag... we've been dealin with this problem for years, the game wardens wont do much and if they do your property mysteriously has a fire on it... sometimes the situation leaves you with no options...

8. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    S. S. S. Also used as a wolf management policy in ID.