Dogs and chocolate

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Brandon8807, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any of you guys have any personal experience in having a dog get into some chocolate? We found out about 2 months ago that the dog we adopted will get up on the counters while we are sleeping if food is left out when he ate a whole cherry pie. Well.... it had been long enough since he last did that and we forgot about it last night and left some cookie bars out on the counter that the dog got into. I'd say that overall he probably ingested about 6-7 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate mixed in with the cookie bars. We've already done our research online but wanted to see if anyone has personal experience or recommendations.

2. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A few weeks ago while bird hunting my dads GSP got into some choc donuts. That was at 8 am. About 5 pm we were hunting an she all of a sudden started falling down. Looked like someone walking that was wasted. She did that about 30 mins until we could get back to the truck. She was fine later on. I don't know if the donuts caused that but thats what we thought it was. It was strange.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

3. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    He will be fine...they have to eat ALOT

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Chocolate will send dogs into anaphylactic shock. Making them seem like a staggering drunk person. I saw this happen personally once and I was able to get my dog to the Vet very quickly.

Dogs are particularly sensitive to a class of chemicals called methylxanthines. Theobromine and caffeine all belong to this family. Dogs cannot metabolise and excrete these compounds as efficiently as humans. These compounds, once swallowed are taken up by the liver, transmitted back to the small intestine and converted back to the original methylxanthines. After which, they take another trip around the body. This is repeated a number of times, so instead of getting rid of the compounds (as a human being does) the dog will just keep poisoning itself.

The difficulty is that there are many different formulations of chocolate, from sweet milk chocolate, which is the mildest form to the dark bitter chocolate, commonly produced for the continental market, but increasingly consumed in the UK. A lethal amount of sweet milk chocolate is said to be around two ounces to every Kg in bodyweight. For example: A dog weighing 22lb the lethal amount would be around 20 ounces. Dark bitter chocolate is considered to be about ten times as toxic, so a 22lb dog could actually die from as little as 2 ounces of dark chocolate.

Although many people are aware of this fact, there are many others that are unaware and still others who have been given the facts but choose to ignore them. We have all heard someone say "I've given my dogs chocolate for years and they've never come to any harm". They may not have done, as they've probably been given a small amount of milk chocolate but what it has done is give the dog a taste for it and who knows when they may find a bar of dark chocolate? It comes as no great surprise that Easter and Christmas are times when many dogs are at risk, especially when family members visit and often give titbits to a dog, or dogs are left alone to consume any left out chocolates.

Clinical Signs: Vomiting *Hyperactivity *Restlessness *Hypersensitivity when touched (A dog will jump on touch) *A raised rapid respiration and heartbeat *Muscle Tremors *Dizziness* Trouble Walking* Seizures *Weakness *Coma *And death

5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    oops...double post...the site is acting weird..

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He fine.. Same a PT said .

7. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He should be ok. It's passed on amount of choc to the size of the dog. So like if a chihuahua ate that much he would be in trouble. But your do will have the ****s and will not be able to hold it. Be prepared

8. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Our golden retriever has ate about 20-30 pounds in his lifetime. He gets my little sisters Halloween candy about every year..

9. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It depends a lot on the dog too. My lab got into a tub of rat poison without any problems at all, yet she went into immediate anaphylactic shock after getting her shots at the vet's office. :(

10. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A little off topic, as I have nothing to add, but our collie ate and destroyed a box of shotgun shells. I have no idea how she didn't get sick. I walked outside and the garage floor is covered in gun powder, BB's and chewed up shells. She made a point to waste the whole box.

11. KCArrowSlinger

KCArrowSlinger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a dog eat chocolate before, called the vet, was told to give him a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide. He immediately threw up all the chocolate.