Dog Training Advice

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Brandon8807, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My girlfriend and I just adopted a German Wirehair Pointer from a rescue organization about 3 weeks ago. He's 6 years old, and as you can see he has been settling in quite well. He's a very smart dog and already knew how to sit, lay, stay, and fetch whenever we got him. My main goal right now is to be able to eventually get him to where I can take him off of the leash without worrying about him running away. I just bought a 50' lead leash that I plan on working with him with, but I'm looking for any advice or recommendations on training methods. Once I get him comfortable off of the leash I'd really like to get him to where I can take him bird hunting whenever we go back home to IL. I think he may have had some prior hunting training, but there really isn't anyway to know for certain. He has a very high prey drive, and I'd like to focus that energy into something that gives him a job and occupies him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is a great lookin dog. I have spent countless hours working on my dog without a leash. 95% of the time she does great....
    Then there is that other 5% when she looks me straight in the eye and says "screw you" and chases off after whatever.. haha