Dog shot with Deer Hunting Arrow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by elklover, Feb 14, 2012.

1. elklover

elklover Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Someone shot a deer hunting arrow into a DeKalb County family's beloved pet and now police are searching for the culprit.:mad:

Kirby Vanderyt's black Lab named Obsidian Rose, or Siddie for short, is recovering at the University of Georgia's Small Animal Hospital after doctors there removed the arrow.

Attached Files:

2. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't arrows have serial numbers on them?
    Wonder if the cops could track down the buyer of that arrow buy that number.

3. elklover

elklover Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You got a good point.

4. firefighter bowhunter

firefighter bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do they have a serial number or is it a lot number? I just noticed the numbers on my new FMJ's and I think they are all the same on all 12 arrows.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Makes us all look like crap when someone does something like this,

6. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Guys in this forum said they would shoot a dog if it kept chasing "their" deer or ruining their hunts. Maybe this dog was doing that.

7. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have a soft spot for dogs, but I've come close to putting an arrow in one before. Never while hunting, even though I've had dogs ruin more than one sit. They were just doing what dogs do. I don't get mad at the dogs for this, but I'd love to kick the owners.

The incident I'm referring to was before this last season. One of my neighbors (second house down) had a 20-something year old down-and-out step-son that came to stay with them for a while and brought his two pit bulls with him. Every once in a while they would get away from him.

There was one incident late one summer night where my dogs were going nuts and I walked outside to see what was bothering them. I was promptly chased back into my own house by these two pit bulls. The next day I paid them a visit and let them know that the next time I was threatened on my own property by their dogs they'd be burying them.

A couple of weeks later I had my target set up by my house and I was walking down the driveway practicing. I live outside the city limits and my driveway is 100 yards long. I was test shooting my Slick Tricks at 50 yards and had just nocked an arrow when I saw the pit bulls headed my way. This jerk was standing on the porch not calling them back. I yelled "Call 'em off!" and came to full draw. When he saw me take aim on the bigger of the two dogs, which was only about 10 yards away, he began to panic and started yelling for them to come back. Fortunately for at least one of the dogs they obey voice commands and they ran back. I could hear him yelling something at me, but I really don't remember what it was. I was a little shaken and the adrenaline was still pumping. I had let down. All I did was look at him, used my bow as a pointer and pointed it at him. Not aiming as if to shoot, but pointing it lengthways. He took his dogs inside and stayed there. He ended up moving out three days later.

Being that the dog in this thread was a Black Lab, it's hard to imagine someone being threatened by it. I don't know when this happened, but if it was during hunting season and she'd had pups, then it's very possible someone thought they were in danger. I've encountered a black lab who'd had pups away from home and I thought I was about to be mauled. It's very uncharacteristic behavior for the breed, but it happens. That's exactly how we came by our current Black Lab, Madison. A hunter came across a female who'd had a litter of pups in the woods and she came at him like the one I'd encountered. He promptly shot her. Only after she was dead did he realize she was defending her pups. I ended up taking one of them home and we still have her.

If this was just a dog walking around the neighborhood, then it was probably some chromosome-deficient idiot who thought it would be cool, but the owner shares at least a part of the blame. Responsible pet owners don't let their animals run around unchecked.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good post Chief.

Sad that the dog was shot, but I won't get too up in arms without more information on the circumstances.

9. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think we do need a bit more info on the case it's self.
    If there was a dog that attacked my kids or my dog I would shot it period.
    If it was chasing my deer and I exhausted every other option to get the owners to stop it then I might just let one fly.
    But to shoot any animal with an arrow and have it survive is just sad.

10. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This year i had 2 wild dogs ( no collar's )running around on my farm that i hunt on chasing deer. And i do believe they killed a 1 1/2y/o doe. (we dont have many coyotes here). 5 times this year they had ruined a hunt. 1 in early muzzloader 2 during regular bow season and 2 during rifle. Everytime i wanted to pull the trigger or put a arrow in them. I just couldnt get my self to do it. After the season i went around to the surrounding farms and homes asking about the 2 dogs and no one owned up to owning them, and some had encounters with the same 2 dogs messing with their own pets and/or other farm animals. Fox season is in till march :lol:

11. cmkilo02

cmkilo02 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    x2 Little Chief...good post.

12. dj-skyy

dj-skyy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    looks like the dog was shot in the front lawn....bad rep for us bowhunters ofcourse.....

13. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where did you find the info?
    I can now say that the lil sh*& head that shot that dog needs to be found and charged.
    In a case like that that person should not just get a fine and jail time they should also have all any and hunting/fishing priveledges taken away for a long time if not a life time.

14. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't be so quick to judge. They didn't know anything was wrong until the dog came running to the house wounded, which means they weren't watching the dog play. Is the front yard fenced? If not, and they didn't see it, how would they know it happened "on their property"? They wouldn't. There are too many unanswered questions for me to pass judgement, and it's not my place to do so anyway.

Still, if the owners version of the story is true then someone needs to find the shooter, take their bow, unstring it and use it on them like a good old-fashioned heavy-duty switch because my money would be on the fact that this was a low poundage bow in the hands of a kid in serious need of a hard lesson in respect, both for other people and life in general.

15. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Someone in Jacksonville Florida did a similar thing only to cats. The archer proved to be very skilled because he was shooting the cats in the rear legs with an under powered bow. were the arrow would stay stuck between the legs causing the cat to become immobile and suffer.

I don't think they ever made an arrest in that case.

Far as a serial number when I buy arrows they are pulled from a box of 100 or so arrows cut and receipt for arrows is written, and that's it. So to find the person that arrowed the dog will come down to the people in the area. Heaven forbid someone suggest a registration of hunting bows.

And that's just like going to the police station and registering your bow. When a Bow incident happens they can call you tell you to turn over your bow and you wait to get it back.

Naaw, not necessary the idiot that shot that dog is within the community. The police will find him as long as the community will respond and the "No Snitching Rule" isn't in place.

Turning people in that do crazy crap like this is what's right for the community.

16. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am with those who have said "more information is needed to draw a conclusion." If no one witnessed it, how do they know the dog was shot in the front yard? Its always funny how dogs running loose all over creation are described as well loved family members. Charges may be just as in order for the owners not restraining their dog. Now, if the dog was truly shot in their yard... it shouldn't be too hard to track down the culprit. At either rate the shooting seems rather avoidable.

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like the owner is lying and / or it wasn't a hunter that did it .... so not sure how this gives hunters a bad name????

18. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    @ Little Chief at one time or another we can all relate to your circumstance of shooting a dog, I previously posted about my nephew that was attacked by a Pit in his front yard playing freeze tag with his sister and some other kids when he was 8 years old. I was home on leave from the Navy in 1987 driving home taking my Auto-Ordance 1911 9mm with me as protection.

I've never forgotten that blood curdling scream a cross between a rabbit shrill and a baby in extreme distress cry

** shivers**

I didn't even realize I had grabbed my gun ran outside the dog had him by the leg shaking him like he was nothing. I grabbed the dog by the head more so the neck and collar pinning it to the ground as it held my nephews leg and just fired the until the gun was empty. This didn't stop the dog at all. The dog got up as if to shake it off and came toward me, by this time I drop the magazine out popped in the spare and put 2 Winchester Silver Tips hollow pointsthrough it's head.

That stopped it cold. Just then the owner of the dog came around the corner with a butcher knife in his hand "yelling his dog was only playing with him". My nephew calf muscle was torn from his leg. He came at me I raised my gun and told him to drop it you Mother-effer! He took a step toward me I stepped back and told him You heard me!!

Then I seen a squad car slide up the officer pointed his weapon I'm not sure at who, but I know Memphis Police Officers I wanted the gun out of my hand quick. Just as I was trying to lay the gun down the fool with the knife started to motion toward me. I said Eff it! I pointed my gun back at the dead dogs owner. Then it seemed to me that the officer was on the same page as I.

Another officer came up behind the knife holder with his PR-24 and Lights out! I drop my gun put my hands above my head. they looked at me quizzically.. I think it was my clean cut dressed appearance that stopped them from cuffing me.

I've never forgot his words...What Precinct you're with? My clean cut appearance saved my butt and I've always kept it that way ever since.

We've all got experiences similar to yours with irresponsible people, but when it comes to dog ownership and responsibility. I believe people put dogs in their backyards just to say they have one. Like some parents have children just to say I've got one.

It doesn't exists.....coincidentally it took 9 shots.. sorry for the changes trying to be as accurate as it happened.

19. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It may not be a hunter, but that won't keep it from effecting the perception...

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My point exactly ... this won't change their perception at all .... haters are haters