Does size really matter?

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Aacimor, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Aacimor

Aacimor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all. I bought my first recurve bow a couple months ago. Hoyt satori 21" riser, med limbs 45# @28. First off, i love my bow, only problem is that have broken two strings in two months. I started doing some investigating and im thinking my draw length is too big. Im 6'2" tall with a 33" draw length. Im stacking the poundage at 60# or so im told by the technician at my local shop. He recommended me to get a 72" bow. I've scoured the internet and the longest ILF limbs I've found would put me at 68" tall. Eventuality i want to go hunting when i start grouping better. So questions if you guys can answer.

Does length of bow matter when i go hunting?

If i buy the extra long limbs that are rated 45# on 17"riser, am i still going to stack 60# with my draw?

Am i better off just buying a 25"riser and have more choices with ILF limbs? If so, are all risers the same(ish) spec wise? I've tried and have unsuccessfully found a "hunting" riser 25".

Screw it all and just buy a compound? Lol. I really love my recurve though...

Thanks everyone and can't wait to see what everyone has to say. I'm really torn right now as to what to do.

2. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum.
    I know very little about recurves so I can't really help you. For 6',2" you have a super long draw length, I imagine you'll be asked where you anchor at on your face. I'd also imagine limbs rated for 45 lbs are definitely being stressed.
    Farther down from this "New User" forum there is a forum called "traditional archery".
    Post your question there and you'll get more views and help.

3. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not an expert on recurves but what does the tech say the poundage will be?

Normally, the poundage is at 28" draw. Perhaps the longer limbs pushed that back to a longer draw?

Mod-it has the best suggestion.