Does Scent Away Really Work?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by TexasOutdoorsman, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For the record i have killed quite afew deer in my blue jeans , but they didnt come directly out of my dresser drawer either , i know i cant render a whitetails nose , but ell wont go bow hunting smelling like i'm ready for a night out on the town

2. JJHACK

JJHACK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think that your comments are on two different topics.

Although I agree that wearing obviously scented right out of the washing machine clothing is a mistake.

I do agree with the findings of the previous articles that using some magic potion in a pump bottle is not going to remove control or even reduce your existing scent.

Using send free products is one thing, claiming that these odor removal products will actually REALLY do anything is another thing completely.

3. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    JJ , nothing personal what so ever , i know you just pasted those articals .

4. bmorris

bmorris Newb

Dislikes Received:
    JJ
    Of course they know. They sat in the trial and were exposed to all the kind of information that you mentioned.
    There own hand selected expert admitted under oath that the products were in effective in stopping human odor.
    All the top activated carbon experts I have talked to admit this kind of application will not work.
    Why do you think they sealed their testimony ? I bet they admitted under oath it didn't work.
    The sad part of this is that some good people have signed on to promote this. Lee Lakowski had a chemical background and was one of carbon's strongest voices. He complained to Scentlok according to the court records it wasn't working but continued to endorse it . Phil Phillips also complained to Scentlok that it didn't work according to the trial records but he still accepts being on the Pro staff and accepting sponsorship.
    There in lies the problem. Money talks when it comes to integrity.

Properly understood there is a way to effectively reduce human odor.

How do anti-microbials work ?
    How can you reduce the loss of skin cells ?
    How effective are new nanotechnologies in capturing odor ?
    How to can you reduce breath odors effectively ?
    Is it possible to encapsulate human odor ?
    With the proper understanding and application of the right principles human odor can be reduce, actually to the level never experienced before. Foe what its worth I have stood and watched a bloodhound cross my trail twice and pass by. I have been found by a blood hound as well. With more development a good system will be born.

5. bmorris

bmorris Newb

Dislikes Received:
    They know

They sat in the trial and know all the things that JJHack said.
    Those who endorse it like Lee Lakowski and Phil Phillips know it ans admitted in the trial it wasn't working.
    Bass Pro knows it from the trial and continues to sell it.
    Cabella's knows and continue to sell it as well.
    Gander Mountain has all in information from the trial and just continues to sell it.

There is a way properly using the available technology to actually reduce human odor.

6. wilkescountycc

wilkescountycc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i do believe scent away works i came home a week ago ran my beagles and was wearing my hunting clothes didnt even think bout it till i went back hunting later that day sprayd down with scent away i was hunting on the ground had 2 does get 15 yrds from me and they never smelld anything so yes i do believe in it!!!!!!

7. Non Sequitur

Non Sequitur Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I believe the blond with the big boobies.

8. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
  9. GDLT31

GDLT31 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scent

Ok here goes,about 5 years ago my son and I are going hunting we stop at the gas station to fill up the Go-devil boat,Upon removing the gas nozzle I spill what seems a gallon of gas on my pants,snake boots and socks.I am now mad as can be.So we went to the woods just to late to go home and change.Got to my stand thinking not even a tree rat would come close.About a hour later I shot the biggest 8 point of my life which hangs in the living room.I think that this no scent clothing isn't what it is cracked up to be.I have never used it and have a very good deer kill each year that I hunt here in Florida.

10. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    None of the sprays I have ever used will cover ground scent or the scent you CONSTANTLY produce while on stand. Just yesterday night, I disproved yet ANOTHER spray who's sales guys told me was the real deal. I watched a spike hit my trail and follow it for 20 yards, 2 hours after we walked through with completely cleansed clothes that were treated by our ozonic's machines over-night.

Ozonic's works from a stand like AMAZINGLY! The last 3 hunts we've had deer straight down wind without snorting, freaking out, or even lifting their noses! Buy one, the best freaking investment you will make! Justin and Todd have been using them too!

11. jvenditti

jvenditti Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Play the wind. Period.. i've killed deer at under 5 yards from the ground that didnt smell me because the wind was right, without a single piece of scentlock clothing or scent spray and im sure many others would tell you the same.. On the other hand.. If you have money to burn, if nothing else, i doubt it could hurt you.

12. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the wind comment...

However, the wind will do nothing for you in helping to lessen the trail you leave behind after walking through the woods...

For this reason I spray down my boots and wash my clothes in Scent Away detergent...while also playing the wind

13. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think the sprays help... a little bit. But its not the end all and I see and hear of too many hunters using it as a crutch.

Stop and think for a minute what these sprays are comprised of, what your spraying it on and what your trying to eliminate. I think everyone can say they're trying to eliminate human odor. We spray this stuff, usually comprised of most baking soda, water and peroxide, on the outside of our clothing before heading into the woods. If you're doing things right, there shouldn't be much human odor on the outside of your clothing to begin with. Human odor is coming from inside your clothing and there is very little that we can do to stop it. We can keep our clothing packed in air tight containers, keep them as scent free as humanly possible, smelling like fresh leaves, etc. But at the end, all it smells like to a deer is a human in fresh leaves because our scent eventually soaks through to the outside. How much, is to be debated though.

IMO, you have to kill the odor at its source, on your body itself. A good, healthy scrubbing in the shower with soaps designed for this I think goes a very long way. But, its not going to prevent you from stinking to a deer. It'll minimize it some, but not totally prevent it.

Then you get into the whole debate of what a deer is actually alarmed by. I believe, and this is my opinion, that deer are alarmed and spooked more by our human odor and breath than anything else combined. You could have equipment or clothing that has a "funk" to it and it not worry a deer the least. But, give him the whiff of human odor or human breath and its game over. I firmly believe that deer are not intelligent enough to know that the smell of a musty jacket that has hung in your basement all year is linked to a human unless they've had a previous bad experience with a guy in a musty smelling jacket.

Do deer know what cheese smells like? How about cotton candy? I doubt it. So they shouldn't associate those smells with humans. However, humans are predators to deer and deer have been programmed to know what a predator smells like, albeit a bear, cat, or human.

I wash all my clothing in Sportwash (best stuff going IMO) and store in air tight containers. I dress in the field and never wear my clothing in my truck to and from my hunting spots. I'd rather do this and not take any chances with foreign odor. But none of it replaces hunting the correct wind for a given stand.

14. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Beautifully said...

We'll never totally eliminate human odor, it's after all, who we are...we have hair, we have pores and we breath... I've been told that bird dogs can smell the breath of birds, imagine what whitetails can pick up when downwind from us... The best we can hope is that we "lessen" the offense that the whitetail picks up.

For those that say, I've killed deer within X yards with zero scent eliminator whatsoever, kudos to you, so have I in the past but what education has shown me, is that with a good scent suppressor ritual, I've killed deer downwind that has picked up my scent... especially my trail into my stand....

Think of it this way, if you smell a skunk 100 yards away you think to yourself, hey there's a skunk that way but you're not alarmed, now if you get full blown skunk from 5 yards away you turn yourself inside out to flee the area... I think of whitetails the same way... I've watched deer pick up my scent from X yards downwind and NOT turn inside out to flee the area, with no ritual for scent suppression (not elimination) would the same deer snorted and bolted, very likely. I don't mind spending a little money if nothing more than piece of mind... not a crutch.

PS... I've used Scent Killer to eliminate gas smell from my hands, I have no doubt it works for the purpose I use it for.

15. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rob, you're right about the "lessening" of the offensive odor. This offensive odor is HUMAN scent. Not the smell of leather, or rubber, or anything else. Its the bio variety that comes from us on a round the clock basis that we need to be concerned about and work to minimize. However, I forgot to mention one other bit of information. Those non human odors we take with us into the woods should be minimized as well. The reason, at least I believe is that anything that may get a deers curiosity is bound to have a bad effect. For example, if that deer smells your boots, leather or rubber, it doesn't matter, perhaps that work harder to identify that smell and eventually, smell YOU.

That is where I think those sprays help to some degree. But again, its the HUMAN odor variety that deer are programmed to be aware of and flee the area. If all a deer ever smelled was a rubber boot, I doubt they'd spook at all.

I use the sprays too, if not for anything other than my peace of mind. I think it helps get rid of certain odors or at the very least reduce them. But I have serious doubts that it does much against our own human stink unless you spray your body down with it before getting yourself dressed.

I too have gotten rid of gas off my hands with that stuff. I have a couple bottles of the Scent Killer fall blend and I swear I'm going to start spraying the inside of the truck with it. Love the smell of that stuff. :D

16. ck3

ck3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am sorry to tell this story. First off I am crazy about scent control (shower, spray clothes washed dried outside etc.). Opening weekend we hunted in the morning. A buddy shot a deer and we looked for hours scouring the forest and i assumed leaving scent all over. We could not find his doe so he brought his two dogs out scouring the same woods. In the meantime I had to show some other friends all of our stand locations so we walked the whole field (approx 120 acres) to every stand location. In the late afternoon we put up another 2 man ladder stand sweating (it was 80 out) all afternoon. about 5:00 (way too late for the evening hunt in my opinion) we decide to go out again. No showers, scent contol whatsoever. As a matter of fact I was purposely letting my labrador rub all over me to see if it made a difference. One buddy went out in jeans & a tshirt. Well with 4 hunters out the deer were running around like roaches (never saw anything like this in our spot) and we shot three does that night. Makes you think twice about scent control & concern about leaving scent in the field. We only shot three deer all last season and we got three that night.

17. PCOutfitters

PCOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't have said it any better. I've seen my bird dog beeline straight to pheasants across a frozen pond with a cross wind not in her face. Deer supposedly have a better sense of smell than dogs too. you could stick a pheasant in my face and i couldn't smell anything, and if a dog can pick that up from 40yds off a deer can probably smell you the moment you step in the woods. IMO a faint smell is probably less alerting to a deer than full blown B.O., so thats why i use scent killing spray. i know a deer can smell me no matter what. if i do what i can to limit that, it will probably be beneficial at the least. Not saying it will "guarantee success" but it will for sure make me feel better about any stank i'm giving off.

18. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    This quote was not ment from you .

Ya know i had used a machine over 20 years ago givin to me by a good friend that went to Penn State University when i lived in Pa that worked in the lab , its nothing new , they used it up for there technology and secret testing and have no more use for it than to sell it to the public , personally i dont care who is using them , and all the ones i had givin to me didnt help me kill anymore deer than just going out like i have been before .......ITS NOT A BIG SECRET TO PLAY THE WIND. and the machine only cost about $20.00 to make , so who is getting d!cked again ???

I knew when i seen this post there was gonna be arguments as usual , there shouldnt be any arguments between us , the arguments should be with the industy and the companys trying to bullsh!t us , in all gods honest truth the best product for scent elimination and killing bacteria is Arm and Hammer baking soda.

I have tested damn near every scent elimination product on the market and like i had mentioned in my previous post the best effective brand is Scent A-Way , but my best is my own home made deal .

Are we ever gonna get to the point to where scent elimination will ever be a done deal ?......Hell no.....if Fred Bear and Jerry Martin could kill Deer in there regular clothes with bows shooting 80 fps , then whats the argument ? The argument is the hunting industry , i mean how much can you try to advance something that should be considered fair chase to begin with .

19. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    I guess what i'm trying to say is do what you feel is right and in your budget and most of all go out and have fun !!!!

20. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scent Killer

Scent elimination certainly can't hurt but being higher in the tree stand is better. Be careful about keeping the wind in your favor wind and controlling your sounds and movement. I get busted more by moving than anything else, sound is next but I have watched deer walking down the same trail I came in on smelling everything I touched.