does a sharper helix make a difference with arrow flight?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Pearce92, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    got my arrows refletched and asked for a more aggressive right helix on the vanes (2inch blazer) and i have only done a little bit of shooting up to 30 yards with them. and i cant tell much of a difference.

2. Swampstomper

Swampstomper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot straight and helical and not noticed much if any difference. But then I'm not a pro, I just like to hunt and shoot.

3. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In theory any offset on vanes/blazers should impart a spin on the arrow and should increase accuracy. Similar to rifled barrels and bullets, etc.

If you don't see a difference in accuracy you may have other issues affecting accuracy that the helix blazers can't overcome like improper spine, draw weight or rest alignment / setup.

4. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    im puttin up pretty good groups before i had my arrows refletched anyway. i guess i was expecting to be breaking arrows at 20 yards but there was really no change

5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Ballistic also, so I feel like I should chime in.
    I'm breaking arrows at 50 yards shooting Victory V3 340 gr + 100 gr. field tips topped with 2" Blazers. No helix.
    I used to shoot 4" helicals back in the day when I was shooting an overdraw and aluminum 2217s. Back then, I did notice a difference. I guess shooting at these Ballistic speeds, the 2" vanes just don't have enough surface area to initiate real spin at distances less than 50yds. Think about it - when you're shooting at/around 300fps, there's no way your arrow has enough time to turn more than 2-3 full revolutions at normal hunting-shot distances (less than 50 yds.) That's not really enough revolutions to further stabilize flight. There certainly wouldn't be a damn bit of difference at 20 yards.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  6. TroyS

TroyS BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    ^agree. The further the shot the more you'll recognize the decrease in speed but increase in accuracy.